Search the forum,

Discuss Ghostly clock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkgap

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Interesting little problem: local scout hall has a clock on the wall, Smiths quartz same as what goes in schools. Has a problem keeping time, in fact it was so far behind that I replaced the battery three days ago and in the next 90 mins it lost a quarter hour. Took it home and left it in the workroom with the same battery in, keeps perfect time. Did that last time I had a look at it as well and wondering what can be causing it? PS: no excessive low temps either in the hall or my workroom and makes no difference whether the clock is lying down or hung on the wall.
Any ideas? At the moment the favourite is poltergeist activity :shocked3:

check the wall where it hangs for electrical current. that's sometimes a big problem with clocks.
or is there an electrical pylon nearby ,wires overhead of the hut ?
I only ask because I cant wear a watch without it either speeding up or slowing down. this is something to do with the static electricity I pick up.

check the wall where it hangs for electrical current. that's sometimes a big problem with clocks.
or is there an electrical pylon nearby ,wires overhead of the hut ?
I only ask because I cant wear a watch without it either speeding up or slowing down. this is something to do with the static electricity I pick up.

Have also had that suggested elsewhere, but having originally wired the place the only electric anywhere near it is an emergency light about a foot below it and you don't get a lot of magnetic field off low current mains wiring! I would add that the previous clock in the same place had no problems at all.

if its any consolation my clock is a smiths. got it from a school that was being torn down. and that never keeps time either. but it has been dropped a few times. so maybe it has been knocked down or just bumped at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ghostly clock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock