Discuss Getting closer to becoming a plumber hopefully, requesting more advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Ok so anyone who has read any of my threads in the past may know that I am determined to become a plumber once I have left the army. It feels like an eternity for me so I apologise if you feel de ja vu when reading through this! :p

A quick update, My final day in the army is 29th November 2012 but I have been granted resettlement entitlements so I will be out before that date. Part of my entitlement is money towards training.

A reminder of the qualifications I have:

C&G 6129

CCN1
CKR1
HTR1
WAT1
CPA1
CEN1
CONGLP1PD
VESLP1

Water Regulations
CSCS card

The plan is to gain the NVQ level 2 and unvented hot water.

What electrical qualification would benefit me the most in the plumbing trade? Part P or is there something else I would be better off doing?

What MCS qualifications would I be wise to consider?

What about underfloor heating is there a course that anyone could recommend or do you think that route would be a waste of time?

Basically i'm interested to know if you had time and funds to do courses and you was in my position what would you do?

On another note, if anyone in the Kent area or further away in the South East that's practical requires a tea boy/labourer on a weekend in return for letting me learn from you then feel free to PM me, won't cost you time or money.

Thanks for reading.

Ash you sound highly qualified on paper already mate. Maybe less time in the class room and more time on the tools. Nothing prepares you for life on the tools than being on the tools.

ash have a read of the mcs threads in the renewables section might put you off going down that route. unvented is good to have.

ash,i have read your posts from day one,i really hope you make it as a plumber/gas engineer,i was very tempted by the army a few years back,going in as a mechanical engineer,i was already a gas engineer my mate wanted me to join with him,but i felt i could earn more as a gsr,sadly my mate lost his life,so its good to see someone like you leaving the army having survived your service time and making a go of it in this industry,all the best of luck mate

Ash you sound highly qualified on paper already mate. Maybe less time in the class room and more time on the tools. Nothing prepares you for life on the tools than being on the tools.

Time on the tools would be ideal, I know i could go out and start working for myself but i'd rather work for someone or a company to learn the trade inside out before i do jobs by myself. If I make a lot of mistakes i'm going to have a terrible reputation and my career could be over before I get started! lol not saying i'm that bad at plumbing but i'd rather have the guidance of an experienced plumber there when i'm not entirely sure what to do. Thanks for your reply.

I thought you had to have level 2 to do your gas?

I'm not sure what the requirements are but I have the 6129 and I know if that was not sufficient the army would not be able to put us through our gas qualifications as they do everything by the book especially when dealing with any external organisations such as the training schools who done our ACS assessments.

ash,i have read your posts from day one,i really hope you make it as a plumber/gas engineer,i was very tempted by the army a few years back,going in as a mechanical engineer,i was already a gas engineer my mate wanted me to join with him,but i felt i could earn more as a gsr,sadly my mate lost his life,so its good to see someone like you leaving the army having survived your service time and making a go of it in this industry,all the best of luck mate

Thanks for your encouragement gas man :) sorry to hear about your mate! I'm still fairly young but I have done 6 years and feel it's time to move on. Unless you're prepared to give it 100% and can put up with the BS it's not the place to be, only wasting my time and other peoples. I've had a great time but I'm now just as excited about making a good career of plumbing as I was to join up. I have a lot of work to do to get my foot in the door but I know it'll be worth it.

Great attitude. There's been a lot of similar threads on here and most I flick past because I wouldn't employ them in a million years. Keep at it mate. If you have the time nd the money get as many bits of paper to your name as poss. Unvented, solar, LPG etc. but don't sell yourself short when it comes to work and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting closer to becoming a plumber hopefully, requesting more advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock