Search the forum,

Discuss Gassafe engineer struck off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slamdunk

what to do next?

Boiler was installed/fitted just over two years ago , had a few problems since but nothing I would pin on
the person that fitted it.

But, I read just last week that the gas-safe engineer was struck off after a close call with a boiler and them
not picking up what looked to be fundamental problems with it and it contributing to the ill health of the
family and in particular a new born, thankfully no causalities.

This engineer fitted my boiler, I have recently had it serviced by it's manufacturer, but then a minor fault
occurred and this has been rectified by the manufacturer also.

But, would it be right and proper to speak to gas-safe with a view to getting the boiler checked again
as some of the pipework leading to the boiler such as gas/water seems to have gone green at the joins
and I'm not sure if this is within the remit of the manufacturer giving it a service.

We had been suffering headache and it would be real easy to point to the now dodgy gas-safe engineer
and his fitting as being the culprit but I don't think in all fairness it's anything to do with him.

In essence, do I call gas-safe or do I take the service and subsequent repair by the manufacturer to be
enough and that if anything untoward had been in residence they'd have spotted it?

For the record the engineer was struck off and ordered to do some amount of unpaid work and whatever
else they decided to hand down as punishment. Good riddance to them, sorry to say but no place
in anyone's home is a person like that.

If it puts your mind at rest then get GS in. It's a free inspection.

The green stuff at the joints of the pipe is flux that hasn't been wiped clean. If you are having doubts contact the boiler manufacture and ask if they would just check it over for you

I think your worrying to much. The green bits on the pipes are flux. If you have had the manufacturer out the boiler will be safe. The gas guy that was strucK off must of done something and left an unsafe problem

We had been suffering headache

We as in the everybody in the property? Is this not an sypton of Carbon Monoxide?
As said above the gas safe inspection is free so why not have it done to put your mind at rest?

Last edited:
Slamdunk I will tell you what to do next, stop faffing about and phone 0800 111 999, tell them you suspect you may have CO poisoning, they will attend, check and make safe, then you and anyone else who may be effected contact the medical services and advise them you want checked for CO poisoning, after that you go on an Internet forum and discuss whatever issues you want to, get your priorities right,
Don't contact Gas Safe to get a safety visit within 10 days, that can be done later as part of any investigation once we know if you have been poisoned

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your worrying to much. The green bits on the pipes are flux. If you have had the manufacturer out the boiler will be safe. The gas guy that was strucK off must of done something and left an unsafe problem

This^
I seriously doubt a manufacturers engineer would leave the boiler unsafe.

Do as kirk says.. ring that number..If you are wrong and all is ok great but why take the risk..In your circumstances no one will question your actions...look after yourself and your family...
and as hopefully if found to be ok , nip out and get a co2 alarm..quite reasonably priced now

If you have a baby or young child you should always have a co2 alarm ,babies are just small bundles of delicately balanced chemicals that need as much protection as possible...as cost low you can also think of having one left In the pushchair or nappy bag so still protected on your travels

Last edited by a moderator:
Slamdunk I will tell you what to do next, stop faffing about and phone 0800 111 999, tell them you suspect you may have CO poisoning, they will attend, check and make safe, then you and anyone else who may be effected contact the medical services and advise them you want checked for CO poisoning, after that you go on an Internet forum and discuss whatever issues you want to, get your priorities right,
Don't contact Gas Safe to get a safety visit within 10 days, that can be done later as part of any investigation once we know if you have been poisoned
good idea. Just be aware they will cap off your gas and issue a warning notice so you will have to pay to get someone out to check anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gassafe engineer struck off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Am I the only one struggling to find appliances' manuals online? I know it's hard enough with cookers and old gas fires but I've just been unable...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock