Discuss Gas valve price in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Cotton

I have a Glow Worm 40FF, probably 20+yrs old, which wont light. Thermocouple already been renewed.
Plumber says could be gas valve, which would be around £100 parts plus labour.
He could fit new boiler for £1,300 - any advice on which way to go with this as boiler expensive but dont want to go for false economy and then have other problems ?

Dont fit a cheap boiler that needs replacing in 5 years time fit an ATAG, Vissemann or Remeha and honeywell TRV's It will be a lot more efficient than your old boiler as well, so in the long run you will save money as gas prices are going up. You will probably end up paying £250 for the gas valve with labour.

Last edited by a moderator:
at that age no. but its your money. I used to advise people to keep there old boiler if they are sound but gas prices are expected to double in the next 3 years so flushing your system and getting a more efficient boiler will pay off. you have to do a cost benifit analysis.

good advice susmil,
john, do you have a scrap-man collecting in your area?.
if you love your old boiler and want to 'keep it going' it will cost you, and may even pack up completly sooner or later. reliability and economy iis the key factor here.

ime just a bit shocked at the statement of
it could be your gas valve from the plumber as by testing the valve he should be able to tell if its working or not is he a corgi engineer??

im also shocked by his comment of could be the gas valve? no reason in the world it could not of been proven, isolating from cct board and tested.

have i wouldnt sugest using this engineer to change your boiler

i agree a new boiler for long term cost saving, but you could get a bit more lifeout of this one yet!

if you do go for the new one, viesmanns are complicated, vaillant have a crap after sales technical help.
my personal preference is worcester

good luck
shaun

If you decide on a new boiler then make sure that you use someone who explains clearly with the quote/estimate exactly what you are getting for your money. An old system will need a thorough powerflush, probably doesn't have the requisite number of thermostatic radiator valves, has a good chance of not currently having a room or HWC thermostat, and may need the programmer upgrading. All these issues are coverted by current building regs. If most if these need attending to then £1300 sounds a bit too good to be true.

my guess is plumber is not corgi will get a cheap combi plonk it in and get a mate to sign it off with no powerflush..and not worry about boiler going up the shoot and no warranty due no powerflush done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas valve price in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock