Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Safe Register in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I want to get my own personal gas safe registration rather than being registered through my firm.

a) I'm already anxious about the meeting with the engineer and I haven't even booked yet
b) what kind of things do they ask? Is it a difficult grilling from them?

I don't know what to expect which makes me even more anxious.

Any tips would be grand.

Cheers
Jay

It's horrendous, an absolute nightmare, they will keep you sat there for an hour waiting to be finally told...............welcome to the GSR, they aren't out to trick you, they are there to help, if you don't know the answer tell them, or explain you know where to find the answer.

It's horrendous, an absolute nightmare, they will keep you sat there for an hour waiting to be finally told...............welcome to the GSR, they aren't out to trick you, they are there to help, if you don't know the answer tell them, or explain you know where to find the answer.
I believe they visit your last 5 installs with you? Is that correct?

To be honest jay it's an awful long time ago when I had my first chat, but having had a few visits over the years it's been 3 jobs and we never got past the second, they are pretty much on the ball, they understand your bricking it and want to get away asap
Your already gsr with your firm aren't you? Then no problem.

It depends on the guy I showed him a couple of jobs ( service and gas pipe run ). Happy enough.
Just make sure you can show him how you would find out info if you don't know the answer

To be honest jay it's an awful long time ago when I had my first chat, but having had a few visits over the years it's been 3 jobs and we never got past the second, they are pretty much on the ball, they understand your bricking it and want to get away asap
Your already gsr with your firm aren't you? Then no problem.
I am yes.. and bricking it is about right lol

So they're with you for about an hour?

It depends on the guy I showed him a couple of jobs ( service and gas pipe run ). Happy enough.
Just make sure you can show him how you would find out info if you don't know the answer
I've got a hard copy and a copy on my ipad of my gas book we used in college .. ipad version is great as you can search what you're looking for

So they're with you for about an hour?
I think they allow sort of 1/2 day, but they don't want to be with you that long, don't forget they need to see your paperwork side as well, pads, books etc.

Isn`t it a good move to ensure all equipment is calibrated and in date?

Last edited:
I think they allow sort of 1/2 day, but they don't want to be with you that long, don't forget they need to see your paperwork side as well, pads, books etc.
How does that work then.. since technically I can't to gas work under my personal name as I'm registered through my firm so all my paperwork is done by them. I mean, I have my own reference books and guidelines book and gas safety pads, notices pad etc but not used them as haven't done it privately.. didn't think I could??

How does that work then.. since technically I can't to gas work under my personal name as I'm registered through my firm so all my paperwork is done by them. I mean, I have my own reference books and guidelines book and gas safety pads, notices pad etc but not used them as haven't done it privately.. didn't think I could??

No , you've got the stuff, your not just going to rip an envelope open and write a llc on the back. If you've no jobs to show then go through your own place, or a friend, just make sure it's alright first, don't take them to a leaking, under gassed, patched up flue under a carport leading into the conservatory which has a steam tub in it.

Just throwing it in as sometimes the simple things can trip you up mate.
Mate absolutely.. and thank you!!! It's these little things my anxiety make me forget!!

In my opinion its an out of touch out dated idea that you give up a morning to go round customers houses to do gas check.
The gas safe inspector i last saw seemed clueless as to what goes on in the real world when i told him countless builders and illegals are out there doing what ever they want.

Make sure your familiar with any appliances where your meeting the guy as he will no doubt ask questions about them etc.

dont fret you will be fine when i had mine we stood around talking for most of it your work will tell them all they need to know and if they need to ask any questions

They don't come and check you before giving you a gas safe number. They'll gladly bank your 400 odd quid first and about 8 months later they check you're not lethal!
Nice inspector in the south drank tea, ate cake, looked at an install and went.

Don't stress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Safe Register in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock