Discuss Gas Safe Engineer doing a foreigner - what should I ask? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

We all know that if you work for a company, then you are covered by there gas safe card. If not, you need your own. Gas safe are the governing body. They dictate who is competent or not. Take it up with them.

which law exactly? The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 state that you must be a competent person to work on gas appliances. The Gas Safe Register is not mentioned in any UK legislation, being on the register is a good way to prove that you are a competent person.
The gas safety (installation and use) regulations 1998 also state that anyone working on gas must be a member of a hse approved class of persons, which currently is the gas safe register.

only competent person scheme atm is gas safe

I am nit arguing the point of the post, in that there are inherent risks in employing someone doing PJ's, but I don't see how your QUALIFICATIONS vary day to day. As opposed to memberships of trade bodies etc.

By this definition there's nothing wrong with his use of the word "qualified".

"having complied with the specific requirements or precedent conditions"

so after asking the relevent questions of the engineer in question:

1. He is qualified.
2. He is GS Registered with the company he works for in his day job.
3. He is not registered separately in his own name.
4. He would carry out the work but under his "good friends" registration :eek:!
5. He has done loads of work like this.
6. He doesn't have PL insurance and doesnt believe he needs it. Not that I believe he could get covered in these circumstances anyway.
7. He has never had any issues but is local and would sort out any problems that arose. Including I suppose re-building the house should it burn down, blow up, or flood and invalidate the homeowners insurance.

Obviously I politely passed on this engineer.

Thank you to everyone who provided advice so I could make an informed decision.

Now I am off to do battle with Homeserve to see if I can get them to give me a reasonable quote.

1. He is qualified.
6. He doesn't have PL insurance and doesnt believe he needs it. Not that I believe he could get covered in these circumstances anyway.
7. He has never had any issues but is local and would sort out any problems that arose. Including I suppose re-building the house should it burn down, blow up, or flood and invalidate the homeowners insurance.

Now I am off to do battle with Homeserve to see if I can get them to give me a reasonable quote.

1 pass his details on to gas safe and the tax man and maybe his boss.

2 dont use homeserve for your boiler change look on gas safe website to get local businesses and get a few quotes.

1. He is qualified.

Why even bother with HS? Ask around for a recommended reliable independent.

Reply to Gas Safe Engineer doing a foreigner - what should I ask? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock