Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipes under joists in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Erskinestreet

Hi
could anyone give me advice on where I stand with this.

recently whilst investigating an uneven kitchen floor, my joiner cut a hatch to pack up the uneven floor, when the hatch was up it was noted that joists were sitting directly on top of 2 gas pipes, this is why the floor had a high point in it.
now I know this is illegal what the previous joiners did and it is no fault of the plumbers as he cant control what the joiner did.
when I got the big bosses involved in this they tried to tell me that in no way was myself or my family in danger? Even tho they cut off the gas supply and have since cut the joist so they are not resting on the gas pipes. I was told that these gas pipes are strong enough to take weight? I was wondering if any plumber can tell me if I am being fed a lot of rubbish by these people, I know it was unsafe but just need re assuring by experts on here. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi

recently whilst investigating an uneven kitchen floor, my joiner cut a hatch to pack up the uneven floor, when the hatch was up it was noted that joists were sitting directly on top of 2 gas pipes, this is why the floor had a high point in it.
now I know this is illegal what the previous joiners did and it is no fault of the plumbers as he cant control what the joiner did.
when I got the big bosses involved in this they tried to tell me that in no way was myself or my family in danger? Even tho they cut off the gas supply and have since cut the joist so they are not resting on the gas pipes. I was told that these gas pipes are strong enough to take weight? I was wondering if any plumber can tell me if I am being fed a lot of rubbish by these people, I know it was unsafe but just need re assuring by experts on here. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

how long as the gas pipe been there?

Last edited:
Good old joiners! Any chance of a photo?

You got a thing for Joiners then??

Regardless of the type of pipe, copper, steel, cast etc, pipework is not structural and should not have weight resting on it.

The fact they have now cut the joists is a concern.
You'd need conformation that the notches comply with location / depth.

You might say that... I've had a bad couple of months with joiners/kitchen fitters making my life difficult.

I'm tempted to start running pipe work in front of cabinet doors and straight through the middle of the work tops.

Hi

No pipe no matter the material is designed to take weight or used to support anything,
I'd say the only potential danger you where in was a potential gas leak however the pipe would more likely bend and crush not split

You got a thing for Joiners then??

Regardless of the type of pipe, copper, steel, cast etc, pipework is not structural and should not have weight resting on it.

The fact they have now cut the joists is a concern.
You'd need conformation that the notches comply with location / depth.

if the joists are resting on a pipe, the assumption has to be something is supporting the pipe ie a brick stud wall, so notching the joist so it than rests on the brick wall isnt going to cause an issue if you think about it!! :)

if the joists are resting on a pipe, the assumption has to be something is supporting the pipe ie a brick stud wall, so notching the joist so it than rests on the brick wall isnt going to cause an issue if you think about it!! :)

other than dropping the flooo0r 22mm

Hi
It was the reason the floor was uneven.
they found 1 of the pipes which had been squashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipes under joists in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock