Discuss Gas meter capped - can I remove boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chap came to service boiler in a relative's house. Said it was old and just advised a modern condensing boiler was recommended. He didn't test it or even turn it on. It is about 20 years old but had been working ok up until my relative died. He tested the line at the meter which showed what he said was a leak and capped the supply there and then. It was a permanent pilot and I have a suspicion it was that that was showing as a leak, I don't think at this stage he had shut the pilot off.

I think I will get that checked out by another.

However, he also advised that I could not touch the boiler and take it out/dispose of it, even if it was being replaced. Is this correct. As I said, the meter is capped off. I appreciate there would be the need to isolate power and drain boiler etc)

I would get a second opinion

Also it might have asbestos in / seales etc and you need to be registered to remove ab

Thanks for replies.
There's no asbestos involved - I realise that is a whole new scenario.
I will take another opinion, also for price.
But that said, if a boiler is being replaced and the meter is capped, is there any reason from a legal point of view why an unqualified person can't remove the old appliance and pipework?

It is a gas appliance so chancers shouldn't really touch it. Just get a gas engineer in instead of trying to penny pinch

You've put doubt in my mind now!!
The boiler is less than 20 years old but I don't *know*, but I shall call in a qualified asbestos surveyor to come in and check.
I think I'll leave the removal and builder work to the plumber too. He didn't seem at all happy when I suggested I could do some of the builder work for him (there's a big wall needs to be knocked through) He's the engineer after all and very experienced.
This has to be safe and done right and lives are potentially at risk. I don't want anybody to die of gas poisoning or CO or whatever, even asbestosis etc and then have relatives say I was penny pinching.
I need to be clear here, and be able to sleep at night.

In theory mate the gas being shut off to tightness test the gas would of shut off the pilot an de energised the solenoid that holds it open,don’t get me wrong the gas valve could have been passing but did he not isolate appliances an then further tightness test?

The boiler hasnt been condemned, you gas supply pipe has?

In theory mate the gas being shut off to tightness test the gas would of shut off the pilot an de energised the solenoid that holds it open,don’t get me wrong the gas valve could have been passing but did he not isolate appliances an then further tightness test?

Still would have showed up as complete loss before pilot stopped tho... Maybe abit of incompetance is involved.

Do you mean that shutting off at ecv an straight away putting a test on could show a loss as the pilot solenoid might not have de energised?

May have read wrong, but i mean. Shut ecv then attach tube and start letby tightness what 15 seconds in... Pilot at that point may still be lit and energized showing the 'engineer theres a big leak on pipework... Thus just capping supply.off

No sorry I read you right yeh I agree,I was wondering why the engineer didn’t isolate appliances to then proove carcass

A good gas man will tell you if the boiler has Asbestos in. Also get the new gas man to recheck the gas to the appliance whilst there. I would be surprised if this wasn’t covered in his call out charge.

Why doesn't the op say what the boiler make and model is, then others on here can say whether it contains asbestos? Very unlikely for a boiler under 20 years old. I think there is overkill of the rule book.

Then the boiler can be removed from the wall by the op if he wishes. Zero danger if the gas is capped.

I thought there would be no problem removing the boiler, but couldn't understand why the plumber said to not even touch it even after the gas was capped. The reason we wanted to remove the boiler ourselves was not to 'penny pinch' but to do it at at our pace, in a furnished part of the house. I am sure a clean empty space to fit the new boiler would be appreciated by the plumber.

Another plumber has said the boiler is ok. An Excell 80. Old but fine although inefficient compared to the condensing boilers of today. Because it has a permanent pilot light someone has queried that it might not be suitable if the property were to be rented out.

No problems in terms of renting out as long as it passes all safety tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas meter capped - can I remove boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back