Discuss Gas Mains Call Out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrewcplatt

Howzit All,

Working on site today and bolstered through the gas mains.(Long story).Had to call out emergency Southern Gas Networks to repair mains pipework.They charge on time it takes to repair,which was approx 2 and a half hours,after much chatting and standing around.
Any idea of what this is going to cost me ?

Also,at what minimum depth should mains gas pipes be laid ?

Thanks

dont know anything on the cost, and can only comment on the upstream side of a meter with external underground pipe, (so possibly NO help at all!!) the upstream pipe is min 40mm under ground IF the pipe is under slab, concrete, monoblock etc and only subjected to pedestrian use, if under open ground or subjected to vehicular traffic it needs to be min 375mm

Expensive, possibly time to get out the public liability insurance policy.

'Mains' would normally have a marker tape above, maybe it was a service you hit? in which case no specific depth, especially on a site as levels change constantly. I'm sorry to say it is the responsibility of the person with the shovel to ensure its safe to dig.

Service pipes should be laid at 375 - 450 depth but ground levels can change after it is fitted. Marker tape is not always used eg if it is moled.
They can also charge you for (estimated) loss of gas.

If the pipe was shallower than 375mm tell them you are not paying it as it should have been deeper.

ouch,thats going to cost,should of got the lads moby number ,for any future probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Mains Call Out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock