Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Leak Detection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So I did a gas safety today and got a 7mb drop on tightness. Capped the meter as both boiler and hob were not the reason.

What's the best/quickest method for tracing a leak (other than a sniffer as I don't have one)???

So I did a gas safety today and got a 7mb drop on tightness. Capped the meter as both boiler and hob were not the reason.

What's the best/quickest method for tracing a leak (other than a sniffer as I don't have one)???

Where's the pipework? In screed? Or surface mounted?

Where's the pipework? In screed? Or surface mounted?

Didn't really check the pipe run as didn't have time (13 jobs on my diary today). But the meter is not far from both appliances, up in a cupboard, boiler directly underneath and hob opposite in the kitchen.

What are the options for both?

Didn't really check the pipe run as didn't have time (13 jobs on my diary today). But the meter is not far from both appliances, up in a cupboard, boiler directly underneath and hob opposite in the kitchen.

What are the options for both?

If it's surface mounted I'd cap and test the pipework in sections. Once you've narrowed down the search ldf joints. If it's in screed or concrete I'd repipe because if it's started leaking in one area it will continue leaking in other shortly.
Get yourself a sniffer mate. Not expensive these days.

If it's surface mounted I'd cap and test the pipework in sections. Once you've narrowed down the search ldf joints. If it's in screed or concrete I'd repipe because if it's started leaking in one area it will continue leaking in other shortly.
Get yourself a sniffer mate. Not expensive these days.

Any recomm on a sniffer??? I'll grab myself one tomorrow if I can.

I don't own a sniffer but usually i'll check all the easy places meter open pipe work and appliances then if theirs pipe work hidden start gaining access unless its In screed or buried in the wall then its a re pipe

I don't own a sniffer but usually i'll check all the easy places meter open pipe work and appliances then if theirs pipe work hidden start gaining access unless its In screed or buried in the wall then its a re pipe

Then hat's what I'll do tomorrow. Cheers mate

Buy a sniffer i will pay for its self after a few jobs. Had a leak on a pipe last night, found it in minutes under kitchen units buried in the screed.

The methane gas atoms ionise on the sensor.
They have different properties to oxygen hence it can differentiate methane from air and dependant on the rate of ionisation can determine the ppm

Buy a sniffer i will pay for its self after a few jobs. Had a leak on a pipe last night, found it in minutes under kitchen units buried in the screed.
Any recommendations on a decent and not break the bank expensive?

13 jobs on your diary ? it would take all day to cap that many meters in one day but I have a regin one its ok if you are steady/slow with it

Mine is a Testo....takes a minute to stabilize when you turn it on, but works ok for me......saved a shed load of time finding leaks.

I've also got the anton one shown its a big timesaver and detects all flammable gases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Leak Detection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock