Discuss gas hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
when installing a gas hob is it your duty to install a means of isolation that is accessable at all times

when installing a gas hob is it your duty to install a means of isolation that is accessable at all times

A means of isolation and disconnection shall be provided. This could mean a gas cock on rigid pipework or a
bayonet connection if you are using a flexible hose. This should of course be accessable.

I don't understand the bit about 'all times'

it does not have to be accessible at all times on appliances its just there for servicing purposes the main iso is the meter ecv

Hang about, thought hob had to be rigid pipework only..

A means of isolation and disconnection shall be provided. This could mean a gas cock on rigid pipework or a
bayonet connection if you are using a flexible hose. This should of course be accessable.

I don't understand the bit about 'all times'

evidentally there are some hobs out there that allow some sort of flexi connection not seen it myself but it has been covered here previously

An appliance isolation tap should be provided with suitable means of disconnection in a readily accessible position.

I thought the regs said a means of isolation is needed wherever "PRACTICABLE" ( capable of being used as well as being installed, If it cant be accessed then its not practicable)

If I remember right regs says something like - an isolation valve should be installed in an accessible place wherever practicable.

This is what it says in BS6172 (cookers)

11.1.6 Where rigid pipework is used, an isolation valve with means of disconnection shall be provided.
and then also
11.2.1 The gas installation pipe to the termination point shall conform to BS 6891 or IGE/UP/2 [17], as
appropriate.

so you have to cross reference to BS6891 and UP/2. (UP/2 is pipework in I&C premises so doesn't apply here)

From BS6891 (pipework) the only reference of anything to do with that is
7.3 Compression fittings
Compression fittings shall conform to BS EN 1254-2 or/and BS EN 1254-4 (copper) or BS EN 1254-3
(polyethylene), as appropriate, and BS 864-2, and shall only be used where they will be readily accessible
and allow the nut to be tightened to make a gas tight joint

So. If it was a compression cock it has to be accessible. A soldered one ?? Strictly speaking no if you can get in to disconnect the appliance although good practice would be to make it accessible.
Accessible does not mean open the door and it is there. It may require the use of tools eg behind an oven or panel

if its behind the oven for example its fine as you can get to it. if its behind a fixed cupboard with no hole in the back then no.

as for cooker hoses, if the manufactures instructions say it can be done and are followed then you can use them, normally if the oven is underneath this is not possible anyway because the heat from the oven exposes the hose to temps above what is allowable so it would need to be ridged pipework.

cooker hoses to BS 669 - 1 : 1989. max ambient temperatures up to 70 ° ( 95 °C touch temperature)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock