Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Gas fire services? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, I have another post about servicing a fire on the forum but can't seem to move it to the arms?

Anyway. When servicing gas fires fitted to a brick chimney, what's the protocol if the your unsure of its integrity, but all is well with the flue flow test? I went to service an Inlaws fire today and I'm very new to working on the fires but I wasn't happy with the chimney so I isolated it. There were other issues like the flames lifting from top of radiants and it seems to suffer with bad down drafts although there is a terminal in position. Any advice greatly appreciated.

did you remove the fire and smoke bomb it ?if that clears and the fllow test passes with the appliance in place then flue is ok be carefull to get the smoke match in the right place according to mi's usually on the plate on the fire somewhere as well burner pressure and gas rate it

As above, smoke bomb the flue. Check in the loft and in the bedrooms above to check for smoke leaking in to the rooms.
Sometimes you have to warm the flue a little first.

Yer fire was removed along with debris in the catchment space. Nothing appeared in loft or bedrooms. Smoke seemed to take a while to come from terminal. Spillage was carried out to MIs. Got 3 different readings on gas pressure at test point. Do you gas rate it even when not stated in MIs if burner pressure is ok? Also it stated in the MIs cold pressure?

Last edited:
It's not unusual for it to take a while for the smoke to exit the stack. Anyway it's passed the flue flow tat. As far as burner pressure goes, were different apliances being ran at time of test? If not check the working pressure at the meter, and see if that's fluctuating. If it is, there's your problem. If it is call the gas supplier, it's probably water in the main.
I think you may have been a bit hasty turning it off mate.

Hi all, I have another post about servicing a fire on the forum but can't seem to move it to the arms?

Anyway. When servicing gas fires fitted to a brick chimney, what's the protocol if the your unsure of its integrity, but all is well with the flue flow test? I went to service an Inlaws fire today and I'm very new to working on the fires but I wasn't happy with the chimney so I isolated it. There were other issues like the flames lifting from top of radiants and it seems to suffer with bad down drafts although there is a terminal in position. Any advice greatly appreciated.

i did say in that thread to speak too BFM technical,i do service engineer work for them and fix their appliances in warranty,i feel your looking for a fault with flame lift thats normal on some models ,spillage however thats another matter

I was gonna call them but as I wasn't happy with the chimney as well I isolated it. I wasn't being paid so advised to get someone in with more experience with fires.

I was gonna call them but as I wasn't happy with the chimney as well I isolated it. I wasn't being paid so advised to get someone in with more experience with fires.

i looked at your catchment space pics,its a mess,should not be that much of a void either side of the fire,just been talking to the head guy in tech though he confirms,like me flames above radiants are normal and does not indicate a fault as long as there is no more than 20 mb at the inlet

The chimney really puzzled me as I hadn't seen one like it. Someone in the past has obviously tried making gd as you initially look at the sides of the catchment space. As soon as you pop your head under you see the big voids at either side. Although there was no leaks anywhere on the chimney breast, I wasn't comfortable with it.

The chimney really puzzled me as I hadn't seen one like it. Someone in the past has obviously tried making gd as you initially look at the sides of the catchment space. As soon as you pop your head under you see the big voids at either side. Although there was no leaks anywhere on the chimney breast, I wasn't comfortable with it.
voids either side not right,should be bricked in,did you gas rate it?

The voids can be to big, but that's not a safety issue surely. I f it passes flue flow and spillage.

The voids can be to big, but that's not a safety issue surely. I f it passes flue flow and spillage.

not if it passes,this one has not,i have seen voids cause this issue before,pocs gather and it stops pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas fire services? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock