Discuss Garden tap fittings query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I'm a DIYer, successfully fitted an external garden tap, supply sourced from downstairs loo, standard 13 mil copper pipework, in-line cut-off. WEATHER PROBLEM - its worked fine for years EXCEPT twice now I've had split pipe due to freezing (at -8C ) despite foam protection.
My thinking - change the copper pipe run with garden hose (cheaper and easier to replace)
Looked - can't find - need fitting (olive or solder) one side to connect to pipe stub, other side, serrated hose connector same as standard tap connector.
Do they exist, if so, where, please ?

Foam insulation (protection as you call it) doesn’t stop freezing, only delays it. Can the pipe be run internally and then a garden tap wall plate?
Simple answer is "no". The garden wall tap (with soldered pipe inlet) is at the end of the outhouse wall. The loo (water source) is at the other end. Pipe runs along outhouse length, about 4 metres to the garden/tap.

Just thought of this (getting old, I'm 80) - if required fittings don't exist, one (bodge?) solution would be just cut the pipework to stubs, use jubilee clips to fix the hosepipe. Simple but possibly effective ?
Would prefer fittings, but if they don't exist ....

This seems to be the fitting I need (2 of) but solution rather pricey at £13
My second thought (jubilee clips, about £1 a pair) if I haven't already got some in the shed seems a simpler cost-effective solution.
Thank you for replying.

Well, I suppose you could (perhaps should?) reasonably argue that so long as the mains are protected by a double-check valve and there's an isolator, it's not much different from connecting a hose to a garden tap at one end of the garden and putting a tap on the end of the hose via a hose connector and 3/4" male iron to compression fitting onto a short bit of copper into the extra tap.

Once you consider the far-end tap as a fitting on the end of the removable hose, the situation feels rather different.

Reply to Garden tap fittings query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a DIYer, successfully fitted an external garden tap, supply sourced from downstairs loo, standard 13 mil copper pipework, in-line...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use...
Replies
Views
Ok I have been dealing with this problem for over a year and finally have to ask for some help as backflushing every 2 weeks or so is getting very...
Replies
Views
Hello I want to replace the old single panel rad in the bedroom with a K2 double panel Stelrad one. I think I'm OK in general and relatively...
Replies
Views
Hi guys , couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to maybe shed some light. 1st is I have very little pressure to my outside tap...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock