Search the forum,

Discuss Free guide to drilling and notching joists. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, sold it at an antiques fair made enough to buy a LG nexus 4 and sold iPad and got nexus 10 :) whose a clever boy ? Moi ?

I have no idea what any if that meant. I only understood iPad because its what I've got because I'm a cool geezer :)

Life would be so much easier tho if you were a Stetson wearing herd wrangling horse whopping cowboy. You'd make loads of money doing whatever you saw fit. The worst that will ever happen is a quick conversation with Dominic littlewood on TV which is free advertising anyway lol

If you have the "I don't give a carp about anybody but me" attitude, then you could quite easily end up rich.

I`m not saying its a good idea to go around notching willy nilly. But, in almost 30 years I have never seen a ceiling or floor suffer due to someone notching out too much or in the wrong place. Is it just me?

I`m not saying its a good idea to go around notching willy nilly. But, in almost 30 years I have never seen a ceiling or floor suffer due to someone notching out too much or in the wrong place. Is it just me?
If I mention notching in front of my dad it becomes a heated argument, him being an old time joiner who says joists are the way they are for a reason and me trying to explain current regs allow it as long as they're followed by the book. Always ends with us silently sipping our pints and avoiding eye contact.

If I mention notching in front of my dad it becomes a heated argument, him being an old time joiner who says joists are the way they are for a reason and me trying to explain current regs allow it as long as they're followed by the book. Always ends with us silently sipping our pints and avoiding eye contact.
Dads eh.......:)

I've seen a few. Worst one was a job done by the firm I worked for. Guy ran a new gas line across the joists to the new boiler position. Trouble was they were only 4" joists and he notched over an inch out using the saw and hammer method to make it worse. The customer noticed that the floor was creaking alarmingly and the ceiling below cracked. Upshot was a structural engineer was called in and the joists all had to have steel plates bolted either side. Cost the company a fortune.

When we had the family business we used to carry out investigative works for a firm of structural engineers and I've seen plenty of issues with badly notched joists.

If you notch/drill willy nilly and something goes wrong you haven't got a leg to stand on. If you follow the guidelines you've got a defence.

problems are worst with more modern construction method which have less load bearing walls and longer joist spans. older house's tend to have short spans between solid walls so its not such a big deal.

now if only somebody could post this in the electrcial form? ive never seen a sparks who could dril 3 holes in a straight line, never mind in an actual drill zone LOL. Also never meet a sparks who could drill a hole through a joist straight, normally at 45 degree angles.

Last edited:
Have you seen them new joists 'i-beam' shaped that you can run a soilpipe through?

new, i think your a number of years late to the party LOL.

they are good and like you say you can drill very big holes in them, you do need to keep holes so far apart but generally they are very helpful for pipe runs.

Everybody else does. The best is when ppl try to repair a joist by nailing a bit of wool to the side of it where it has been drilled/sawed too much.

ive never seen this happen, is it just in wales this happens?

Its always nice to see information thats so easy to read and comprehend.........not. Lol.

I understand drilling and knotching new build but never known anyone even give zones a thought on refurbs. The main run would normally go across landing to a/c and pick up rads to the most convenient route. Asked the question "where are the zones for knotching" to many fitters when installing hearings and no-one could answer.

I had a floor on a bathroom last month that we had to sort where the previous plumber had notched too much. We put in a new floor above the old one, hung with joist hangers off the brickwork. This was as the property is in a big victorian flat, and putting in a new floor would have meant disturbing the flat below.

The floor was springy as hell.

Also my brother once notched out a floor, right across the centre of the room. My dad went mental at him, the floor was like a trampoline. This was about 15 years ago. Sure he's learned by now.

We had to 'flitch beam' that floor. (bolting steel plate to each side of the joists).

It is important to get notching right, but I just use common sense.

Also with plastic pipe, most people just use an angle drill which leaves a bit of meat each side of the joist.

Last edited:
I understand drilling and knotching new build but never known anyone even give zones a thought on refurbs. The main run would normally go across landing to a/c and pick up rads to the most convenient route. Asked the question "where are the zones for knotching" to many fitters when installing hearings and no-one could answer.

most landings have load bearing walls underneath in older house designs, i agree there are plenty of installers who have no idea what the requirements are and that goes for new builds to. ive seen plenty of sparks drill though the top and bottom of engineer'd joists, its scary sometimes to think how poorly trained and informed some people are. If you can notch a joist correctly how can you be expected to create a tank stand to hold 1/4 tonn plus of weight.

Last edited:
The guide I've given is from Zurich Building Insurance. Incorrectly notched or drilled joists not done to their guidelines could invalidate a building insurance policy.

Just seemed difficult to read thats all.
Perhaps its just me?
I get it now, just had to study it a little longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Free guide to drilling and notching joists. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock