Discuss Free boilers for OAP's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

My parents are both in their 80's. They live in a three bed semi and have had central heating in one form or another for over 40 years. Dad a competent DIY'r in his day first installed a solid fuel system with Parkray fire and back boiler. The radiators and majority of the copper pipe work are still there from that time.

More recently maybe 15-20 years ago he had a Biasi combination boiler fitted, this was in the bath room where the old water tanks were, obviously redundant with the combi boiler. He has used a local plumber to service it and repair when required. Recently the boiler has broken down. He's got it into his mind that the government will pay for a boiler up grade for OAP'S.

Today he had a 'surveyor' from Dyson Energy come out. He has told them that they should be eligible for the government scheme. He asked to see the deeds for the house and filled out forms. Said that he see's no problem with the application and that it should be approved. That he anticipates that Dyson will fit a brand new Worcester Bosch boiler and TRV's to all radiators.

My questions is it to good to be true? I've tried to explain that from what I have picked up on this site, narrow water ways on modern boilers. That he might be facing a big bill powerflushing/new radiators/filters!!!

Are Dyson a reputable company with the interests of the Nations OAP's at heart.

Many thanks Sticky

15-20 years is cracking from a biasi combi.

i am unsure on grants and what the requirements are but if I could get a new boiler for free I certainly would apply.

[DLMURL="http://www.dysonenergyservices.co.uk/home/heating/qualify.html"]Dyson Energy Services - In The Home - Heating - Free Heating[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I would be concerned about is who puts it in. A free boiler is great but you have no choice who puts it in and the chances are they will be on price so would do it as quickly as possible. I have seen it before when I did the warmfront scheme I saw some terrible installs but then I saw some good installs aswell (More terrible)

My advice would be try a couple of local engineers who come recommended for quotes and go with one of those. Thats only if you can afford it if not then take up the offer and hope for a decent installer.

Yes Sticky, Dyson are ECO contractors working across the UK. Two "young uns" who did their time with me are working for them in Manchester. Push them for a decent boiler though, non of this Ferroli/Biasi nonsense, tell them you want a Vaillant or Worcester, only a two year guarantee from Dyson so get the a local installer's maintenance scheme looked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Free boilers for OAP's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock