Search the forum,

Discuss Flues in void scenario with pictures Vaillant turbomax in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPC

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've been asked to do a gas cert on this property with this situation and the estate agent told me that another gas engineer had been out previously but was unhelpful. I went to have a quick look tonight so i could see what we are dealing with. the flue itself is 250mm away from the openable window below it. it has no supporting brackets in the void but all fittings are screwed, it doesn't have the correct fall on it but it all looks in tact and no signs of any leakage from condensation etc. No flue sampling points for intake or outlet. Its a Vaillant turbo max 828e

Am I correct in thinking the flue needs to be replaced with new flue pipe, the correct distance from the openable window, flue supported adequately and with the correct fall all the way back to the boiler. Leave inspection hatch with CO detector up there.

or

do you reuse the original flue providing its good to do so, re-drilled higher up, correctly supported with the correct fall and leave an inspection hatch with co detector up there.

or

Gas analyse the current scenario at the openable window, providing it passes leave as it is with inspection hatch, and leave a CO detector up there.

A little input here would me much appreciated guys

flue definitely needs supporting iaw mfis. what is the distance fm opening allowed in mfis 300mm? i presume so you must be ar iaw regs (havent looked just surmising) so you could just twist and lift the flue if your unhappy curing the distance and gradient issues in one and secure it all o/c. then leave a hatch for future inspections and co monitor not required. chat to gas safe for the standard response :)

flue definitely needs supporting iaw mfis. what is the distance fm opening allowed in mfis 300mm? i presume so you must be ar iaw regs (havent looked just surmising) so you could just twist and lift the flue if your unhappy curing the distance and gradient issues in one and secure it all o/c. then leave a hatch for future inspections and co monitor not required. chat to gas safe for the standard response :)

Agreed. Twisting the 45s should lift the flue by the required 50mm without having to cut the joist as far as I can see from the photo. Definitely needs supporting. Don't think you have to replace the flue as long as it's in good condition...

:iagree:Crubb screws in all the collars? Combustion test is required, are the test points between the top of the boiler and the ceiling?

Turbo max is non condensing, what's wrong with the angle? As long as the terminal piece has a small fall away from the boiler (which it looks like it does slightly) to stop water ingress it should be fine?

also, any flue in void requires a co alarm to be fitted outside the void, but as the appliance is in the same room it should be between 1-3mtrs of the appliance and greater than 150mm below the ceiling.

I would bracket it up and issue an NCS on the flue termination.. If manufacturer doesn't allow.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have just spoken to Gas Safe and they tell me it is a NCS situation as long as there is no signs of POC re-entering the building and there are no complaints of fumes from the tennant. Vaillant allow the flues to be falling away from the boiler on the turbomax so thats not a problem either. It has an inspection hatch so its just NCS. I'm going to insist on a CO detector too just to be on the safe side. Grub screws are in all of the collars and there are no flue sampling points on the flue

By the way, the flue sampling point on these goes through the combustion chamber cover if I remember into the collector hood.

The flue term is not an issue- NCS.
In my opinion the flue with that length of run and multiple joints with no support what so ever is AR.

agree with others......... needs some supports.

the sample point is inside boiler i think, If the manufacturer requires a reading on service then it will have one.

The flue with 2 flue brackets on it for support would be classed as?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flues in void scenario with pictures Vaillant turbomax in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock