Discuss Flue terminals protruding from the wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bigred

Hi, any views would be appreciated; you will have seen (and mabe discussed before) the type of terminal I am trying to describe, I am thinking of Room Sealed Flues where the installer has extended the outside Flue pipe (and terminal) so that it protrudes beyond for example the guttering so effectively instead of terminating flush to the wall surface as most are designed to do the pipe sticks out sometimes 18" or more, I assume so that they do not have to worry about protecting the gutter etc. having read the GSIUSP it seems this is covered by;

"Flue termination positions which are not in accordance with the M.I. and /or standards" which then should be classified as NCS although this is qualified by "compliance with the dimensional requirements set by appliance manufacturers for flue termination positions should not be a gas operatives only consideration in choosing a suitable flue termination location".

As yet I have not come across one of these terminals on a gas safety and I was wondering if you would issue an NCS and advise remedial work if encoutered, views on NCS etc

thanks

It is all down to the MI's. Some will allow you to extend the flue to clear guttering, but in general most I see are marked NCS. As long as boiler is operating safely it really is not a big issue.

As long as the flue length does not excede the MI & cause any other problems, it's ok. Might not look nice!!

As above, most manufacturers allow this to be done, but they must also be bracketed if i am not mistaken.

Thanks Guys not had chance to log on for a bit........ Have a good Crimbo, feet up and all that..

its down to MI stating the obvious that it has not been altered and is safe

Yep, just seems strange going to do gas safety on a boiler less than 12 months old and having to classify NCS, I've no doubt that the tennant / Landlord would be asking the question "if its just been installed WHY isn't it to current standards?" but I guess the answer is ask the guy who installed it.

Yes i make you right there , even the local councils dont do stuff correctly like installing to close to windows etc , i saw a development that had flues about a meter out unsupported

Glowworm for example allow you to terminate a flue 25mm below gutters and eaves.

However the condensation can build up on the gutters and eaves and if you wish to get past this you can extend the flue out past the gutters or eaves

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue terminals protruding from the wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are considering buying a house which currently has a 20 year old Ideal Icos boiler, so we're factoring in replacing the boiler soon. Current...
Replies
Views
Hi, just a quick query (hopefully). We’ve got a combi boiler installed in a cupboard with the flue going 90° then directly through the external...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the...
Replies
Views
P
Im aware of the regulations that say you can not position a flue on a boundary wall if this blows into your neighbours garden, but does this still...
Replies
Views
Back