Discuss Flow rate / regs query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Hi, not sure if I am in the right place but need a bit of advice please!

We recently had a new combi boiler installed, the engineer didn't take flow rate readings and instead relied on the ones he took over a year ago. Is this within regs? I would have thought they needed to do new readings shortly before the install took place. I have tried to Google but can't seem to find what I want.

We are now having massive issues with the water pressure, particularly the upstairs shower and the gas bills are huge, presumably because there isn't enough pressure going into the boiler, its inefficient and having to work twice as hard. Am I right in thinking this or totally off the point?

Having trusted the professionals we are now in a long running battle with the company to get this resolved so would like to know a bit more to counter their arguments, if we can.

Thanks in advance.

A little more information would be useful, What system did you have B4 ? what flow rate are you getting ? What size boiler has been fitted ? what size house do you have , number of bathrooms, Did you Have pressure problems B4 ? You can only get out of boiler what go's in What were the flow rate readings that you were given B4 new boiler was fitted, Did they take this from the incoming water main ?

Are all valves fully open including the one in the street? strainers clean?
Havering low flow shouldn't have any effect on your gas bills

Hi, thanks for responding.

Previously had an old cold water storage tank with a pump (no idea on model sorry). No pressure problems before. Valliant ecotech plus 832 was installed. Flow rate required according to manufacturer website is 13l/min.

Recent separate company took flow rates and measured 7 downstairs and 5 upstairs. It's a small 2 bedroom flat but over 2 floors, 1 bathroom on top floor, no bath, just a shower.

They did take the flow rate reading from kitchen tap (connected to mains) but that was over a year ago. They didn't take it more recently. They have told us this is within regs. As far as we know all valves open, clean etc.

I don't think a combi boiler is suitable. I am assuming a pump will need to be installed to address water problems but didn't think you could have a pump with a combi

The first thing to do is make sure your stop tap and valve in the road are fully open
Ask your neighbours if they have the same problem

Many thanks. Everything was fine before the new boiler was put in but we will check. If everything is fully open and there are no other problems in other properties, what do you think the problem is? And what will fix it? Are they allowed to install based on year old readings?

If other properties are fine then you have a problem with your supply, could be a valve or the pipe.

Are the hot and cold taps the same?
We're the hot and cold the same before?

What is the flow rate at your kitchen cold tap now ?

You can take this yourself by timing how long it takes to fill a large container of a known quality or size. Best to do this at a peak time of water use so first thing in the morning when other properties around you are using their water (but not you)

Why has it been a year since the pressure flow readings were taken?

Pressure & therefore flow rates change all the time during the day/night & during the year, so it is never possible to give a guaranteed reading however there are minimum pressure & flow rates laid down by the Water Act which Water Undertakers should provide (however these are quite low).

Everythingis the same as before. The only change is the boiler.
The flow rate is 7 from the kitchen tap. Upstairs where the shower is, it's 5.
The boiler is downstairs and needs 13.
We didn't proceed with getting the boiler installed in Dec 2014.
We called them in Dec 2015 when we were ready to do it, they said they didn't need to do anything as they had readings / records from before.
I would have thought another assessment was required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flow rate / regs query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock