Search the forum,

Discuss Flow rate of main incoming tap different types of valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

allesclar

Hey all,

I currently have a turn type valve on the incoming water supply, not the lever type.

My plumber suggested changing it to a ball lever (full bore fitting) and it will be less resisitive so could help get our flow rate up.

I have done a quick bit of research and assuming i have a gate valve (which is the most common going on pictures) and it is open fully surely the flow should be the same as a ball valve fully open? I have seen the seen the globe valves that do resist flow but surely we dont have that on our main.

Am i being fobbed off?

He is a nice guy but i cant help feel i am being taken for a mug.

It wouldn't hurt but if this is to do with your other thread you really need the supply to your unvented upgraded.

Having said that he's probably giving this a punt to save you some maney and a lot of disruption.

Hey thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it was quoted a few hundred to do a direct 22mm feed to the cylinder. But i am reluctant to pay for something that might not work. Partically seeing as our incoming pressure was only 2bar.

I do see where he is coming from, but from the way the valves behave, from a fully open position i didnt think there was any difference between a ball and a gate valve?

Cheers

Gate and ball valves are not designed to be used as a cold mains stop tap. A stop tap is what you should have. If you want to fit something that may help with flow rates then fit a larger stop tap.

Gate and ball valves are not designed to be used as a cold mains stop tap. A stop tap is what you should have. If you want to fit something that may help with flow rates then fit a larger stop tap.

Years ago yes but there are plenty of wras approved full bore 1/4 turn lever valves suitable for mains pressure now. Gate valves aren't suitable for small bore pipe but you can use them over a certain size.

I'll plump for a lever valve over a stop tap any day of the week. Less restrictive and a lot easier to use in an emergency.

I did not say you can not fit a lever valve on cold water. What I said is its not designed for that purpose (as a stop tap). Ball valves are designed to be either open or closed for isolation. Stop taps are designed to be adjustable hence more suitable. If you want less restriction then fit a larger stop tap. You can always fit a level valve after the stop tap if your hands do dishes.

Last edited:
i disagree a stopcock isnt either a pressure or flow restriction device its there to shut the water flow for isolation you can buy pressure reducing valves and flow restrictors why would they sell them if a stopcock could do the job

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flow rate of main incoming tap different types of valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock