Discuss Flow gauges for central heating pipe work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jones82

Gas Engineer
Whilst installing a new heat only boiler today I thought why don't we have flow gauges, in litres per min, on the flow immediately after the pump and then on the return near the boiler?

This would allow us to see in real time the performance of the pump and the loss of flow around the system.

I've used a flow cup to measure water main performance and I've seen small gauges on underfloor heating pipe work but never seen one on flow and return pipe work.

The flow from the pump & back to the boiler would be the same Jones82 as it is the primary circuit so only one flow gauge required (it would be a loss of pressure).
I know of heating engineers who are installing the Caleffi Balancing valves in domestic systems and by all accounts they work well, allowing the flow rate (amount of heat) to be accurately set & they aren't too expense.
However they don't give you real time flow rates as you have to pull the pin to allow water through the measuring / sight tube.

Hmm interesting, I did halve think this. But thought the flow might be greater after the pump, on the positive side? Also the values would change as each radiator or zone closed and opened?

How about two pressure gauges, with a small range, 0-1 bar for example to measure how much the pump is pushing and how much pressure loss there is around the system.

It occurred to me that we use logical thinking a lot in plumbing rather than actual gauges. For example, its hot so its working!

Perhaps in the future the gauges will be digital.

Boilers take readings in order to regulate and modulate accordingly. So perhaps its just a case of putting these readings on a screen or an app.

It would be nice to see the performance of the system in real time, as zones opened and closed or even individual radiators.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting, I did halve think this. But thought the flow might be greater after the pump, on the positive side? Also the values would change as each radiator or zone closed and opened?

How about two pressure gauges, with a small range, 0-1 bar for example to measure how much the pump is pushing and how much pressure loss there is around the system.

It occurred to me that we use logical thinking a lot in plumbing rather than actual gauges. For example, its hot so its working!

Boilers take readings in order to regulate and modulate accordingly. So perhaps its just a case of putting these readings on a screen or an app.

It would be nice to see the performance of the system in real time, as zones opened and closed or even individual radiators.

Have you been on the imi course if not it’s a great day I would recommend it

"Perhaps in the future the gauges will be digital."
The future is already here if you have certain models of Grundfos circ pumps..I think the Alpha 3 displays both the pump head and the flow rate which can be very handy. Practically all the replacement pumps now display the power in watts and the head and flow can then be derived from the pump curves, a bit messy but the info can be extracted if required.

Whilst installing a new heat only boiler today I thought why don't we have flow gauges, in litres per min, on the flow immediately after the pump and then on the return near the boiler?

This would allow us to see in real time the performance of the pump and the loss of flow around the system.

I've used a flow cup to measure water main performance and I've seen small gauges on underfloor heating pipe work but never seen one on flow and return pipe work.
This is a great idea if you want help developing it UkPlumbing & Heating Innovation Centre .is a not for profit organisation in its embryo stage set up to help develop projects from conception thro to production and sales. Mike Clement and I set it up and we have backing assured ...let me know
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

"Perhaps in the future the gauges will be digital."
The future is already here if you have certain models of Grundfos circ pumps..I think the Alpha 3 displays both the pump head and the flow rate which can be very handy. Practically all the replacement pumps now display the power in watts and the head and flow can then be derived from the pump curves, a bit messy but the info can be extracted if required.
loads of boilers already know this stuff in their little brains but dont tell anybody
Rob Foster

Reply to Flow gauges for central heating pipe work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock