Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting secondhand boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Hobson

Can you legally take a working boiler from one property and refit it in a completely separate property ???

the correct answer is: depends, probably not if is an older boiler and if its a new one youll need new flue to be sure its safe, plus a set of manuals to comply with rules etc.

Depends on what you mean by "legally".

There are circumstances where it could be against the criminal law.

There are more circumstances where it will breach non-criminal statutes - for instance the building regs.

However, there are circumstances where it could be completely legit.

You would have to check with the manufacturer I think. But to be fair unless its a fairly new condensing boiler, I probably wouldn't bother. If it's SE then I wouldn't entertain the idea!!
Manufacturer would be happy to let a qualified OFTEC engineer know about this :)

but councils have enough money to take you to court :) then take it back of you when they win

Ive fitted used boilers a couple of times, no harm if done professionally if a little unofficially...

Isn't gas regs just a statutory instrument - secondary legislation / reg. think they all fall under the Building act 1984? That's what you go to prison for?

Isn't gas regs just a statutory instrument - secondary legislation / reg. think they all fall under the Building act 1984? That's what you go to prison for?

Not my area of expertise, but I thought that all the statutory instruments merely amended or interpreted the core gas acts - 1986, 1995 etc.

Yes believe so but gas regs was brought in to satisfy building act requirements ?

Yes believe so but gas regs was brought in to satisfy building act requirements ?

You could be right Guy.

But its actually a criminal offence to do gas work without the relevant approval. Thats a very different thing to not burying a water main deep enough, or failing to upgrade to part L spec.

Breach of gas regs (Stautory Instrument) could lead to a criminal offence. So? second hand boiler? Manufacturer instructions available? but may be not compliant with building regs also a criminal offence.

Last edited:
But building regs (building act 1984) is above gas regs . That's why gas safe can't chase a non registered muppet but labc can.

A matter of interpretation. The act goes into finer details to support the breach of the statutory instrument, therefore prosecution cases use the act to support contraventions of the statute.

I was referring to the buildings act - which is where all the regs are derived from / for? Gas regs, building regs, water regs..... Yeh see that gas is over building and so on.

Mi's are the same level as building regulations, they give the detail to support breach of Gas safety regulations.

Breach of gas act can be criminal.

Failure to meet building regs is civil.

Not my area of expertise, but I thought that all the statutory instruments merely amended or interpreted the core gas acts - 1986, 1995 etc.

You could be right Guy.

But its actually a criminal offence to do gas work without the relevant approval. Thats a very different thing to not burying a water main deep enough, or failing to upgrade to part L spec.

Breach of gas regs (Stautory Instrument) could lead to a criminal offence. So? second hand boiler? Manufacturer instructions available? but may be not compliant with building regs also a criminal offence.

But building regs (building act 1984) is above gas regs . That's why gas safe can't chase a non registered muppet but labc can.

Gas regs are above building regs in the legal world.

Ay? A statutory instrument is a lesser bit of statute compared to an act? Buildings act is where it all comes from??
Statutory Instruments - UK Parliament

A matter of interpretation. The act goes into finer details to support the breach of the statutory instrument, therefore prosecution cases use the act to support contraventions of the statute.

yes gas regs override building regs they dont however overide MI,S

I was referring to the buildings act - which is where all the regs are derived from / for? Gas regs, building regs, water regs..... Yeh see that gas is over building and so on.

Mi's are the same level as building regulations, they give the detail to support breach of Gas safety regulations.

To summarise, Statutory instruments rule above all.

However, when referring to an OIL boiler.........

Any of you clock what forum this is in?

Thanks John; thread was not specific, but obviously oil boiler? So though the comments were valid for gas, it has not addressed the oil situation. No statutory instrument, so follow BS5410, OFTEC, building regs, buildings act 1984.

Basically if it's a standard efficiency boiler, no.

Condensing boiler yes provided its fitted to MIs and complies with regs.

Seriously would you fit a second hand boiler that some ham fisted numpty had fitted years ago and never flushed out for a customer, even if the customer supplied it, which i dont do cos it might be stolen, you would be going back to repair it from here to eternity out of your own pocket cos in the customers eyes you fitted it so your responsible for it , and no manufactures guarantee would cover you either

I was always told if it's A rated gas boiler and has manufacturers instructions you can. Iv refitted a rated combis before

But don't know about oil. Would be interested to know though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting secondhand boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Has anyone one fit or serviced one of these before; Heatrae Sadia 25l 9004010. It a 25 litre hot water storage cylinder.
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock