Discuss Fitting of external oil boiler correctly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hay0287

We have had a Worcester external oil boiler fitted & the guy hasn't put sleeves on the water & central heating pipes coming out of the house wall & into the boiler. Is this dangerous in any way?

Any pics?

It's not difficult as they come with a 4" sleeve to use. Normally I can use the sleeve, insulate the pipes and get a conduit through for the electrics. If the pipework has to be offset then I use 4" soil pipe and elbows to cover it all in.

The important thing will be exposure to the cold and potential for freezing. Any insulation on the pipes?

I hate to say this, but I have seen a pipe wear away with expansion and contraction where it wasnt protected, is it just cemented in?

Any pics?

It's not difficult as they come with a 4" sleeve to use. Normally I can use the sleeve, insulate the pipes and get a conduit through for the electrics. If the pipework has to be offset then I use 4" soil pipe and elbows to cover it all in.

The important thing will be exposure to the cold and potential for freezing. Any insulation on the pipes?

Thank you for replying so quickly! He said he didn't have a core drill big enough to allow for fitting sleeves on the pipes too. My main concern is whether this makes them unsafe in anyway or a hazard to our property. From what he's said now, it would be a big job to remove the kitchen cupboards,re drill holes etc to add sleeves.

Was it commissioned and have you received the building control notification?

Thanks for your reply! I don't think it is cemented in. It was drilled through with a core drill but he didn't have enough room to put sleeves on as well.

No it wasn't, the guy who fitted it couldn't commission it, I'm after getting it done now. Would it get commission without the sleeves?

Can I ask if you knew this before the boiler was installed?

If the pipes haven't been sleeved it doesn't sound good for the rest of the installation.

Have you paid him? What if other issues that need correcting arise when it's commissioned. Is he coming back to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting of external oil boiler correctly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We moved into a house with a gas Aga (I think converted from oil). The extraction pipe is fitted against and runs through an external wall, then...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
We have low hot water pressure in the entire house. Boiler is a Heatslave External 25/32, fuel in kerosene. The central heating is still working...
Replies
Views
Abram R
A
Oily smell from boiler recently before failed. Great plumber sorted though when opened external baffle at front of sealed flue the internal spring...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock