Discuss Fit boiler without scaffold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gas sam

Hi
Can any one tell me if it is possible to fit a boiler to current standards on the fourth floor with out the use of scaffolding?? Is there a way to seal the flue, put the flue collar on and kick back the pressure relief pipe without going outside. sounds like a bit of a tall order but equally dont fancy getting scaffolding in.
I have been an repair engineer with BG for years but when it comes to installations i dont have to much experience.

thanks

sam

I wouldn't risk it off a ladder for a gold pig!! What about hiring a zip up scaffold from somewhere like HSS if they do one high enough?

To difficult the ground underneath makes it too awkward. i would have to get the professionals in. I was really hoping someone had come up with a way to do it with out going outside??

Not a chance! You can rent a rope operated ladder that will reach and you can get a safety foot to help stabilize it. If you've got the guts and can get someone to foot the ladder thats the only way I can see to do it without the full scaffold

saw a boiler that had a blow off assembly that fitted from inside (someone will advise what make, might have been alpha, so you can have a look and use it or make something similar) seal flue by pushing through from inside with weather callor already fitted (some manufacturers allow it, some dont, so again use an appropriate boiler)

saw a made up blow off return made like the one i describe above, which was basically a 22mm end feed blank cap soldered onto 15mm pipe it was carefully placed with about 6mm of 15mm pipe inside the cap so that the water could flow back and get out, and it was only soldered where it touched the cap, sort of between 11 and 1 o'clock, (that will confuse the teenagers who only have digi clocks on their phones) prob in this H&S day and age it isnt allowed as it doesnt have certified approval but it pulled the guy out of hole so he was happy

Fitted an ideal logic+ a few weeks ago and they come with the same thing, length of 15mm with what looks like a brass 22mm cap end soldered on. Very neat I thought. Suppose if you drilled a big enough hole (25mm) you could push it through from inside but sealing would be a problem. Get a ladder you girl!!!! LOL!!!!!

Fitted an ideal logic+ a few weeks ago and they come with the same thing, length of 15mm with what looks like a brass 22mm cap end soldered on. Very neat I thought. Suppose if you drilled a big enough hole (25mm) you could push it through from inside but sealing would be a problem. Get a ladder you girl!!!! LOL!!!!!

the alpha?? one has its own seal to push through and draw back, to seal to the wall but i tell you it looks exactly like the domed washer you used to get with 1/2" elevated ballcocks, but something similar would do as long as you drilled slightly downwards to the outside

ah ok thats really helpful.. so presumably i would have to drill a larger hole than normal to push the flue collar through. but not too large. how would you go about making a weather tight seal behind the collar?

you can fit one from the inside alone without needing outside access.
there is a thread on here that explains how to.

How about a crash course in abseiling, once you get the hang of it you could do it one handed with a bucket of mortar in your other hand.

Maybe you should just hire a professional to fit it for you. There are ways to do everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fit boiler without scaffold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back