Discuss fire on cp12 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancinplumba

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
went to do a cp12 today, boiler, no flue guard, no earth bonding to gaspipe.
fire was ilfe with broken fuel bed, no mi's, no data plate, and to me wasn't istalled correctly. ie hole for gas pipe not sealed, not taped at front amd gas pipe unprotected in catchment space.
i labeled it as AR, and both tenant and l/lord happy.
should i have ID'd it ?

oh and previos gsi had not mentionend anything on last cp12 a year earlier !!!!! begs the question ???

boiler is ncs and fire is ar technically id as coal bed broken so combustion affected but made safe under the ar criteria

cheers gas man marked boiler as ncs, but thinking more than 2 ncs's make ar, does more than 1 ar make id ?

cheers gas man marked boiler as ncs, but thinking more than 2 ncs's make ar, does more than 1 ar make id ?
anything involving the affects of combustion,broken coal bed dodgy hob burner etc are instantly ID,yes more than one ar would make it ID

phew, first question over with, woohoo not a virgin any more !!!! tho av got to go back now and id it cos of you lot...cheers lol

this is where this post is supposed to be :)

thats strange i had a fire today no mis no data badge not fixed correctly coals all sooty in places and hit and mis vent
and i ided and capped ??

Thats ID for me, it will give out tons of CO due to fuel bed crack'd , I'd be worried if I left it on.

Just a thought.

Hows work in Barlick DP?

From my old days ID ... Immediately Dangerous has always been associated with actually spilling fumes or escaping gas - Just about anything else is At Risk of spilling fumes or leaking gas! There are exceptions I know but thats always been my general rule of thumb approach!

Last edited by a moderator:
From my old days ID ... Immediately Dangerous has always been associated with actually spilling fumes or escaping gas - Just about anything else is At Risk of spilling fumes or leaking gas! There are exceptions I know but thats always been my general rule of thumb approach!

CYA is what I have learnt, if anyhting goes wrong then it's you whos in trouble for leaving a potentially deadly situation.
Just my take on it.

CYA is what I have learnt, if anyhting goes wrong then it's you whos in trouble for leaving a potentially deadly situation.
Just my take on it.
CYA? Cover Ya bum ? Now ya see that to me has more potential to do harm in certain circumstances. Why leave a customer without any form of heating or hot water because you want to cover the backside? If it isn't spilling fumes or leaking gas then we have no right to turn an appliance off! If an appliance is otherwise working safely but has the potential to become dangerous then it is our duty to inform the responsible person who then makes the decision! WE, you and I, cannot turn anything off without the custards permission! Just 2 days ago I was asked to service a 30yr old w/air unit fitted in a cupboard! The combustion vent had a fly screen on it but with further investigation behind the screen was cavity wall insulation, no sleeve or outside vent! The appliance had no ventilation what so ever. Cavity wall insulation had been put in 25yrs ago! Flue pull on the appliance was excellent even with the cupboard door shut!! Has been for 25yrs most likely! Absolutely no signs of fume spillage! Guess what i did? Bearing in mind the custards are in their 90's! I informed them of the issue, emphasised that it had probably been like this 25yrs, arranged for the vent to be updated and left it on, with their permission, after explaining the situation over a cup of tea :)

In regards the op. I think dancinplumba acted professionally, did right to AR, and was given permission by the landlord to turn off! that is all they needed do! No need to cap and ID IMO ...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose.
"Bearing in mind the custards are in their 90's" -- did they have full faculties ? ?
detective.gif

"emphasised that it had probably been like this 25yrs" -- 'PROBABLY' does'nt stand too well when people are dead!

"and left it on, with their permission" -- Hmm maybe their grandchildren could argue 'YOU' were the responsible person, infront of the judge. (he may agree with them on that.)

If you look at the OP's statement below he is asking IF he should have ID'd it? ! I think he should have arranged to rectify the fire but not AR it, and leave a situation where his licence at the min. could be in trouble.
My professional opinion, it's ID all day long.

went to do a cp12 today, boiler, no flue guard, no earth bonding to gaspipe.
fire was ilfe with broken fuel bed, no mi's, no data plate, and to me wasn't istalled correctly. ie hole for gas pipe not sealed, not taped at front amd gas pipe unprotected in catchment space.
i labeled it as AR, and both tenant and l/lord happy.
should i have ID'd it ?

The L.lord was happy because the tenant can carry on using the fire as he obviously has been doing and he doe'snt have to spend any more money. Why risk your licence and more??

You're rght newgas you are entitled to your opinion :) BTW who died? When am I going to court? No ventilation is an AT RISK situation! I explained to the customer the situation and agreed a return date to rectify. We then discussed the potential issues, over a cup of tea! He just smiled at me and said "it hasn't killed us all these years, I think it'll be alright for a few more days!" I'l emphasise that we discussed the potential issues! I am not one of the gungo life saver gang who will get into a fight with customers about 'rules & regs', turn them off and leave them to feeze! I happened to be in agreement with the guy. Years of experience working on openflued appliances I believe offers me that! And I didn't sway from our 'rules & regs'! Label, paperwork "appliance left on as per customer" and signature in agreement !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fire on cp12 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have my initial gas safe inspection coming up after successfully completing my ACS a few weeks ago - and, it's fair to say i'm slightly nervous...
Replies
Views
B
went to do a lgsc on friday,empty house letting agents i do a lot for taken on a new landlord,gets to the property after picking up the keys and i...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock