Discuss finding a leak under my floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a leak in my bungalow floor. Only bought it last sept but was away in the states for awhile. Looked behind my dishwasher and noticed a ft up the wall is damp and it stretches right around the kitchen. I also noticed my grout lines in my dark tiles aren't dry either. This stretches right out my back hall to my patio door. I would say there's a leak in a pipe somewhere but how do I go about finding it. Would a pressure test locate the exact place or is there another method I can use or is it a case of ripping up the floor to find it.

I would try and find a company that specializes in leak detection before ripping stuff out, sounds like your probably have to do that anyway by the sounds of it, sounds like a lot of damage has already been done,

Is it a new bungalow? I would be looking more at a failed or non existent DPC rather than a leak.
A leak would be more localised.

Check you don't have a leak on spindle of the stopcock, after being turned off and on, leaks at this point are common, can be severe and if behind units go unnoticed.

This is the situation now. I hired out a thermal imaging camera to check for any heat pipe leaks, couldn't find any!
Noticed my footpath was sloping up to my door and the top part was sloping into my house!
In the bungalow, it didn't have any heavy gague dpc under the insulation and screed so this could well be the cause of the damp.
Also tied up the stopcock on hating tank and it's dropped an inch over a week so now thinking I have a leak as well.

I lifted the screed in 75% of pipe runs and couldn't find a leak but I've found more isolated spots of damp at back of the house and most of the sub floor is wet underneath the insulation.

I'm wondering what my next option to rule out is seeing as I've did these. I'm thinking let it sit for a month and see if the sub floor dries out more and keeping the heater tank ball cock tied to see if it drops anymore.

Also, have you considered the water mains pipe coming in below floor? Is the stopcock in the kitchen? Pipe could have a leak and would spread, even if it only enters building and immediately up through floor. Or it could be the mains beyond the stopcock. I saw exactly this on a job where I had to bypass the underfloor mains to stop a full flow leak somewhere, which was causing same symptoms as you have.
If you have a water meter you could see if reading changes when no water used. Or sometimes you will hear the water constantly passing.

Last edited:
Turned mains water off for a few weeks and tied stopcock in heater tank. Heater tank dropped few inches and the main tank(gravity fed) emptied. Now it's looking more like I've definitely got a leak from a pipe. Can't see that much water evaporating over a few weeks. Have most pipes exposed but is it now a case of lifting rest of floors to check rest of pipes or would pressure testing be my next option! I can't see no damp patches on plasterboard or walls above me.

I assume that the property has insurance as this is nearly always required on exchange of contracts and by any lender? I sincerely hope you have as it will now be every difficult to insure until the problem is sorted professionally. I would contact your insurers and get them on the job ASAP.
Also did you have a survey done prior to purchase? If so I would be knocking on the surveyors door too!!!
It does look as if you have a serious leak in your internal pipe work. You don't state the age of the property but there is a known issue with copper pipe used in the 70's developing leaks due to corrosion. It may be beneficial to consider disconnecting the existing pipe work and complete re plumb. If your boiler is not a condensing type you may consider replacement with a condensing Combi. This would make sense if a re plumb is undertaken.

I assume that the property has insurance as this is nearly always required on exchange of contracts and by any lender? I sincerely hope you have as it will now be every difficult to insure until the problem is sorted professionally. I would contact your insurers and get them on the job ASAP.
Also did you have a survey done prior to purchase? If so I would be knocking on the surveyors door too!!!
It does look as if you have a serious leak in your internal pipe work. You don't state the age of the property but there is a known issue with copper pipe used in the 70's developing leaks due to corrosion. It may be beneficial to consider disconnecting the existing pipe work and complete re plumb. If your boiler is not a condensing type you may consider replacement with a condensing Combi. This would make sense if a re plumb is undertaken.

House insured but haven't phoned them. Didn't want them to void the house because of damp problems/ leaks. Was hoping to fix it up thinking it was a small job. Was thinking maybe pressure test might find the leak but it's something Im not that clued up on. I have experience with plumbing, can plumb houses if gravity fed systems and have done many times throughout the years helping times served plumbers when they needed help but this is one thing that has me baffled

Your insurers will not "void" the house due to a water leak. Obviously any rising damp issues would have been raised by the survey, unless you didn't have a survey, in which case caveat emptor. This doesn't sound like a small job to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to finding a leak under my floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock