Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Figure this one out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrum

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Worcester 24i RSF (CDI style)

Tenant reported the hot water was overly hot. Arrived, tested burner pressures, 11.5mb max, 3.4mb min, should be 13.6 and 1 respectively but seeing as the water is too hot, didn't touch and potentially make worse. Check hot water sensor/thermistor. Phoned technical whilst there to confirm resistance of thermistor, tech guy says its out of range, ideal. Ordered a new temp sensor.

Re-visit, fit sensor, check water, still the same. Phone tech, ask for the voltage for the modureg unit on gas valve. Tech guy, obviously reading off the chart says voltages are wrong and his fault chart says PCB. OK, wasn't overly convinced but authorised to change so ordered up.

Re-visit, fit PCB, fire up... the same. Annoyed now, re-test burner pressures, same as before. Decide to adjust B.P, max up to 13.6mb fine, minimum oops to low, down to 0mb.... hang on, boiler is still lit?

Scratch head.

scratch head.

Get other guage from van, 0mb. Boiler is still firing well, not just a tickle on the burner.

Notice a pilot adjustment on gas valve, pretty sure the RSF range were all auto ignition, phone technical, this gas valve was never fitted to this boiler.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the boiler was ID'd and a new boiler is going in, but can anyone explain how the gas is bypassing the test nipple? I'm stumped, can only presume its an internal fault to the gas valve, but has anyone come across it before?

Last edited:
Seems that way yeah. Whether or not it is anything to do with the main problem, i'm not convinced. Reckon the gas valve is just duff.

Yep, and to add insult to injury, the tenant's son or grandson is a gassafe inspector in Liverpool!

it was only when i adjusted the B.P i noticed the pilot adjustment, can't see how this could pass through onto the burner though? unless it's been modified or something similar.

Last edited:
Yep, and to add insult to injury, the tenant's son or grandson is a gassafe inspector in Liverpool!

it was only when i adjusted the B.P i noticed the pilot adjustment, can't see how this could pass through onto the burner though? unless it's been modified or something similar.

What gas valve make was fitted should be a Dungs?
also B.P high is 14.8 MBar low 1.5 Mbar 24 cdi?

It was a SIT tandem, 837 I think. B.P on data badge Max 13.6 min according to Worcester 1mb?

It was a SIT tandem, 837 I think. B.P on data badge Max 13.6 min according to Worcester 1mb?
Pmsl only dungs on these, right hand side above PRV that's off a Gloworm or similar with auto ignition with pilot, not direct burner ignition as the dungs, how did the electrics fit the solenoids they are totally different?

Perfect fit, whether or not they've modified the valve, or maybe it was a manufacturing fault, I've no idea. Wiring had the Worcester plug on to go onto the board as well.

I'm not overly familiar with these so it wasn't obvious ( a gas valve is a gas valve when your not comparing them) until I saw the pilot adjustment!

Any ideas how it was working even when I wound the minimum pressure down to zero and disconnected the modureg!!?.? Surely the pilot bypass wouldn't go on to the main burner? This is what's baffling me rather than the fact some numptes fitted the wrong valve (especially after seeing their work in the other houses we've just taken on through this housing association contract)

Last edited:
That is very odd!
Have you noticed any cameras in the room?
:camera:

I did wonder if the gas safe inspector was setting me up! Can't see rogue traders using a social housing contract for there experiments though!

Perfect fit, whether or not they've modified the valve, or maybe it was a manufacturing fault, I've no idea. Wiring had the Worcester plug on to go onto the board as well.

I'm not overly familiar with these so it wasn't obvious ( a gas valve is a gas valve when your not comparing them) until I saw the pilot adjustment!

Any ideas how it was working even when I wound the minimum pressure down to zero and disconnected the modureg!!?.? Surely the pilot bypass wouldn't go on to the main burner? This is what's baffling me rather than the fact some numptes fitted the wrong valve (especially after seeing their work in the other houses we've just taken on through this housing association contract)

Was the pilot plugged off? Must have been......no way this valve was factory fitted!

If it was a sit tandem you remove power from the modireg to set min fire, hard say why it happened no doubt due to differing voltage and gas valve internals!

A bit more digging reveals that 87161424130 is the part number for this valve which is listed as being for this boiler in more than one place.

Hang on, check this out

WORCESTER 24I GAS VALVE | eBay

same valve, same boiler......
You numpty that's a 24 I you have been working on then! Not 24 I cdi as your 1 st post, sit valve on those fitted in middle of boiler not right hand side....no wonder burner pressures did not match on my above post.

someone has fitted the wrong sit valve all plugs are the same

I said 24i rsf (CDI style) as every time I mention them everyone assumes I'm talking about the 24i junior non condensing!

I gave Worcester the g.c and asked him to confirm more than once so no excuses on their behalf!!

Still doesn't explain the b.p issues though, must have failed inside somehow.

I said 24i rsf (CDI style) as every time I mention them everyone assumes I'm talking about the 24i junior non condensing!

I gave Worcester the g.c and asked him to confirm more than once so no excuses on their behalf!!

Still doesn't explain the b.p issues though, must have failed inside somehow.

problem is 24 I cdi is also a totally different boiler with dungs as said.....yours should have sit valve BUT without pilot connection, hence why boiler is playing up, right manufacture of valve wrong type!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Figure this one out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys have a baxi main about 10 15yrs old. Have an error E1 33. Boiler attempts to power up when hit reset. Sometimes fire up after few attempts...
Replies
Views
Hi, My combi-boiler has just given up heating the house and basically only delivers hot water. While in central heating mode it heats up and stops...
Replies
Views
C
Hello all, Like most people, I've gone to turn on my central heating after 6 months of it being off and, surprise surprise, it doesn't work. I'm...
Replies
Views
I am trying to troubleshoot a Baxi Luna 3 Combi boiler 8 years old, that is not making any hot water. It is in a customers second home, and...
Replies
Views
Condensing boiler installed by local Gas Safe plumber in 2014, not combi. Failed a couple of weeks ago with flashing blue light which googling...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock