Discuss Few queries about a recent boiler install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EnglishmanSpark

How are we lads, I'm from the other side, but I just wanted to pop in and query a few bits with a boiler I had installed through my housing association by the lovely PH Jones, part of the even lovelier British Gas (not well liked our end but don't know about your side!). Anyway, enough nattering.

I had a Worcester Greenstar 24i Junior installed last Tuesday and Wednesday. It took him
two days to remove the cylinder and old boiler and put the new one in, that's two complete days without any breaks. He seemed completely baffled by what to do with the old galvanised pipes coming down from the cylinder (live in a 4 flat block so this was left), and the bathroom cold was left tank fed while the hot obviously went through the boiler and was converted to mains pressure. I asked him if this (differing pressures) would affect the bath/shower mixer and was assured it wouldn't. Now obviously it did.

After the first day, I mentioned to my girlfriend that I didn't think he was that experienced in either plumbing or boiler installs on his own (nothing wrong with that, we've all been through it). He came back on Monday to look at converting the cold (tank) feed for the bathroom to mains, and was due to be back "with a few lads" tomorrow afternoon.

He turned up today and after staring blankly at the galvanised pipes for a minute or so, said that he'd probably have to run a surface pipe along the top of the bathroom wall (even though we have a loft above), down beside the fan, behind the toilet and into the bath panel to feed the bath, then tee off and run a pipe along the side of the bath and round to link onto the basin feed.

Now, and I apologise for the long windedness of this post, the boiler cupboard is the other side of the wall from the bath, the current set up is galvanised down from the loft, through the wall and run converts into copper to feed the bath and basin, and the galvanised can't be completely removed without taking the bath out first due to the bathroom layout, so I asked why he couldn't just kill our tank feed completely, and link the new copper mains feed onto a small piece of galvanised (just before it goes through the wall) and do it that way, he again looked blankly at the pipes and said he "might be able" to do it but wasn't sure how to break into the galv and was nervous about flooding the place. I told him there was both a tap at the top of the feed (by the storage tank) or the whole tank could be drained first. Cue more of these famous blank looks, before measuring the galv with a tape and muttering "probably and inch and a quarter" and writing some bits down.

He rang not long after and said it would probably take the best part of a morning, and then said "til about 1pm".

Firstly, is what i'm saying right about linking into a small bit of galv (not ideal I know) but surely it's the quickest, easiest and most obvious thing to do?

And another thing, he's written his Gas Safe ID down 3 times on paperwork and each time, has put 6 digits, I thought these were all 7 digits?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mines 6 digits company one. Sounds a nugget. You sure ur a spark? Sound way too clever!
I really wouldn't want old galv on mains pressure. Better off to run new DCW in copper under bath

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, cleverest trade on site we are!

He's a subbie so may well be using a six digit company one, I only noticed it because I thought I'd check if he was even has safe due to him either being inexperienced or useless and noticed that I couldn't as I was a digit short haha.

What are your thoughts on the rest mate?

Mines 6 digits company one. Sounds a nugget. You sure ur a spark? Sound way too clever!
I really wouldn't want old galv on mains pressure. Better off to run new DCW in copper under bath

That's the ideal option but the galv runs to about 50mm under the bath and to connect onto that piece of copper and get rid of the galv completely, the bath needs to come out. So would there be a huge issue with keeping a small bit of galv, just to pass through the wall?

Haha, cleverest trade on site we are!

He's a subbie so may well be using a six digit company one, I only noticed it because I thought I'd check if he was even has safe due to him either being inexperienced or useless and noticed that I couldn't as I was a digit short haha.

What are your thoughts on the rest mate?

Most people I know just put company registration, when he comes back ask for his personal one if you are worried!!

Mine is 6 digits, I know people with 4 or 5 digits!! only way to check it is to check it!! Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered.

Can't he just remove bath panel?

Bath panel can be removed yes but he'd need to then feed a new supply to the cold tap and then to the basin as the tee for the basin is right at the back. The taps are right next to a toilet with no space whatsoever (took me nearly 3 hours to change the taps).

My number is 4 digits but i've been at this shyte since before it was trendy much the same as when a spark used to be a spark not a 6 wk wonder.

Gas safe number checked and all is fine, as it probably always would be to be honest.

My main question though,, is that although not ideal, is it really that difficult to Isolate the tank feed, cut into it, and use 100-200mm of galv to take the feed cold feed through the wall.

It just seems by far the simplest and easiest thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Few queries about a recent boiler install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock