Search the forum,

Discuss Ferroli 901 short cycle in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

good evening, I've got an issue with my ancient however well maintained ferroli 901 boiler, it short cycles, it stays on for 35 seconds, then shuts off for approx 10 seconds and repeats all day, this never happened last winter, just this winter since turning it back on.

When turned on is fine, however after approx 10 minutes when up to temp issue starts

This is what I have done so far,

2 new thermisters.
New pcb
New flow meter

Water runs hot / cold, however this is due to the short cycling

I have been told as soft water area unlikely to be heat exchanger.

All rads are warm all over,

No airlocks in rads or taps.

Pump is working well because rads get hot quickly.

Any ideas please, I would appreciate any advice,

I appreciate ferrolis aren't the best
Thanks

Changing the thermisters was probably your best stab.
If that didn't work, I wouldn't have changed the PCB or Flow Meter.

I would have started to look elsewhere and determined what was causing the problem.
Gas rates, pressure switches, flame rods, flame sensors, pump capacitor, gas valve, gas valve modulation, heat exchanger.
Most of these things can be checked within a very small amount of time.

ive figured it out, however I need a bit of advice, it's the pump, it's got to the point now where it's not even starting up, I've tried to remove the old pump, however the switch and casing come of but how do you get the actual fan bit out, thr shaft with the rotating part won't come out of the cast iron casing, how do I get it out?

ive figured it out, however I need a bit of advice, it's the pump, it's got to the point now where it's not even starting up, I've tried to remove the old pump, however the switch and casing come of but how do you get the actual fan bit out, thr shaft with the rotating part won't come out of the cast iron casing, how do I get it out?

Attachments

• DSC_0085.JPG
    DSC_0085.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 17
Have you drained the system?

yep, systems empty, is this part supposed to come off, I don't want to have to buy the whole cast-iron part unless I have to, can I tap this with a rubber hammer, surely this should come out, there's nothing on backside of It securing it. The replacement part has it all as one piece

Yes if empty / drained Waco with a hammer

afternoon, I've got a further query, I managed to get the original pump off, it was rusty and the plastic parts looked like rusted metal there's what appears to be a ceramic collar in there which had bits chipped off, I've cleaned it all up, bearings have gone I think, however it still spins, I've put it back in until new one arrives and no more short cycling, however, ( sigh) the heating comes on and the water is now at a constant heat but it is a lot lower that before. I imagine that the current pump isn't woring to full capacity, could that be responsible for this, I haven't replaced aw nything else. I'm hoping that the new pump will spin more freely and solve this, although I thought the pump had little to do with water temp, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Ok. I've got a problem, I'm hoping it's just a faulty part, my new pump came today, I installed it ( I've done a few before with no issues) it ran for about 5 minutes and then started smoking, ( literally) and then blew the fuse I took it out again and it's literally melted. The inside of it has burnt out, any idea why this would have happened?, even the previous one I took out didn't melt? I am hoping it's faulty, I can't see how I can be at fault with this?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0089.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 11
If you’re confident you wired it up correctly and with no loose connections then they will replace under warranty

Was it the correct voltage rating? (A 120V motor on a 240V supply behaves rather like you described...)
They were both 230v, I've complained to the company and they want me to send it back at my expense to be inspected, I've asked them if they can send another for tomorrow and I'll send the other back, they said, " no"!! . So I've bought another one from someone else and am going to ask for a refund, I hope they don't give me any nonsense or I'll go down the route of "my house could have burnt down "

FWIW, I never been able to claim a warranty on a pump replacement in a system and I've been in the game 25 years.

The only pumps I've ever managed warranty on are new boilers on new systems.

Pump warranties on existing systems - no chance

new pump went in no problem, solved issue, just a case of getting refund on damaged one now.
OK, this is a new development, it's still short cycling, however the period of time between it switching off and on again ids shorter so water is actually hotter because by the time it starts getting cold it starts warming up again. However ive just replaced a sink in the bathroom and when I turned off the water and drained taps the last of the water in the cold tap was warm, I read this may be something to do with thermostat in boiler being constantly in on position, could this have been the problem all along?

This sounds like a faulty venturi causing the pressure to the pressure switch to fluctuate. On some models this is a hard high temperature plastic and goes very brittle with age. Worth a check as they're quite cheap.

Reply to Ferroli 901 short cycle in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and continues to burn for between five and forty seconds before stopping again. Under normal conditions the boiler works fine but as soon as it gusts over...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
I have an ancient ferroli 901 optima that due to recent redundancy I am unable to replace , for a good while now there has been short cycling issues , things I have checked and ticked off the check list , temp sensors on pipe , heat exchange , pcb (replaced) , one suggestion however was changing...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a ferroli falcon 2 boiler (yes it is pretty old). A few days ago the hot water started going hot and cold when running. Monitoring the boiler, the demand light works fine. When the water gets up to temperature every 10 seconds or so, the boiler stops for a fraction of a second...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock