Search the forum,

Discuss fernox tf1 leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i have a tf1 on my system, i added inhibitor last week through it to my system, it now seems to be leaking but not from any usual place. i.e where a seal is, it is coming from just above the drain valve where the conical piece joins the plastic bit where the valve is screwed into, is it screwed? just 1 years guarantee i take it? bought late 2014 so its not very old, going away tomorrow morning for 6 days and dare'nt switch the system off or drain it, kids are staying home and will want heat especially this weather, any suggestions would be welcome

maybe a photo would help.

if it is a section that can be undone then, undue it, clean and put back together with some silicone grease.

or is it a split in the unit?

Without being patronising, are you sure that's where it's leaking from? Could it be running down it? Never had one leak anywhere but the seal, and I've had a few!

2016-02-21 12.30.53.jpg
to make sure i have wrapped a piece of blue tissue arround the body of the tf1 so if it is coming from the top i will see, i will give it an hour then check

The top needs fairly tight on them. Fernox will supply seals for you if you contact them, or maybe the merchants might have them.

The top needs fairly tight on them. Fernox will supply seals for you if you contact them, or maybe the merchants might have them.

I try never to take the tops off, you can take the seal off. Give all surfaces a clean, swamp it with silicon grease and re assemble. Usually does the trick.

Once the lid is removed you are supposed to replace the seal on a TF1

well i gave it the hour, checked the blue tissue wrapped around the body, dry, bottom of the conical piece is wet, seems its bust, have already emailed fernox, will wait for a reply...
cheers anyways gents

Fair enough, I stopped fitting them after the first ten leaked.

TF1's used to be a right pain in the Arris!

The fernox rep was bigging them up again the other day and said they never had a problem haha

I haven't fitted or played with the TF1s but have heard guys talking about them in the merchants, and by all accounts you won't re-seal them unless you change the seals.

i read the docs on the tf1, it seems that there is a mark on the top ring which has to line up with the pipe coupling, also the lid has lugs every 90 deg and the body has indents 90 deg, i checked and although the lid is on its not as it was it was on tight but the mark was slightly out, i took it apart again cleaned again, moved the lid 90 deg and made sure the mark lined up, put vaseline on the thread and touch wood it seems to be holding water, still leaving the bucket underneath, off on me holibobs early tomorrow for 6 days so bloody glad it seems to be ok, thanks to all for all the advice on this.

I always fit TF1 and I always take the lids off and don't replace the seal, give it a while, silicone grease no problems so far,

as for not wanting to drain the system, theirs two red handled isolation valves both sides of the tf1 turn the system off at the fuse spur and close both valves, drain just the tf1

i read the docs on the tf1, it seems that there is a mark on the top ring which has to line up with the pipe coupling, also the lid has lugs every 90 deg and the body has indents 90 deg, i checked and although the lid is on its not as it was it was on tight but the mark was slightly out, i took it apart again cleaned again, moved the lid 90 deg and made sure the mark lined up, put vaseline on the thread and touch wood it seems to be holding water, still leaving the bucket underneath, off on me holibobs early tomorrow for 6 days so bloody glad it seems to be ok, thanks to all for all the advice on this.

Do yourself a favour and turn off the valves before you go.

Do yourself a favour and turn off the valves before you go.

He can't do that as he needs to leave the heating on for the kids...

Iv nev had too many probs with the tf1, never needed to change a seal either! Same as the Magnaclean o ring

Hi All you Fernox TF1 users. From this forum as I understand it the Top cap seal should be replaced an smeared with Plumbers Silicon Grease ??
Should I Smear silicon grease on this seal before installing the unit ??
Also regarding the 2 Washers on Isolation Valves should these be smeared with Silicon Grease also ??
ALSO The bottom drain valve thread should I use PTF tape on it ?? Washer on drain Valve should this also be Silicon greased ??
As I intend to do this before instillation of TF1 PLEASE ADVISE on all these points

It's fine from new just make sure the match the splines on the lid (not the nut part, the part with the magnet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fernox tf1 leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock