Discuss Fast Track courses what's the truth? Ex Military, needs advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

There were a couple of ex amy lads on my training at BG, id defo consider applying to them.

I have a young installation fast tract out with me at the monent, course cost 9k with a 8 or 9 work placement, think he can add cookers and fires at the end of the course.

From what i can tell, work placement means passing the guy tools. Also be very aware, the course and placement will not make you a plumber/gas engineer, you have to do that for yourself, if you go self employed you will look incompetent infront of customers, you may also struggle to make a living for the first 4 or 5 years.

Youll not find any jobs advertised without min 3 years experience, 5 if its for a breakdown Enigneer.

Theres a firm in Manchester that will charge you £2100 for a months on the job training.

Its not impossible to break into the trade on your own, but i dont envy you fella.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your input, sods law I've been away this weekend and come back to a Rad fallen off the wall, the pipe is buried in the wall and a pinhole leak Soding out, must of only just happenned because the heating was on and there was pressure still in the boiler. Lucky I can still remember how to drain the rads and always have a Rad key around...FML

Hi everyone

I am leaving the forces after 23 years shortly and want to retrain as a gas engineer, growing up in a trades household I was pretty much dragged out with my old man regularly with the hope of earning a quid. However that was 20+ years ago.I joined the Navy not as an engineer but have enough nouse about me to grasp things quick.

Serious question though. I can't afford to go to college for 3 years doing an apprenticeship for obvious reasons being 37, kids and mortgage and every thread I read is old and bold tradies slamming the short courses.

I get it I really do, but what options do I have? have you done the fast track course? did you find a job? have you employed someone like me?Do I bite the bullet and take my degree, iosh quals and project manager quals and do a job for £40k that I'll ****ing hate until I die?

It depends what your military background is. If you were avionics tech in the RAF heating would be a fairly easy transition.

If however you don’t have any formal technical training I personally think you’ll struggle in just doing a short course or two.

Reply to Fast Track courses what's the truth? Ex Military, needs advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I am currently in the forces looking to leave in the next year or so. i have a level 3 apprenticeship in electrical and mechanical...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm hoping someone can help with some advice. Ahead of some renovation work, we had a 50 year old old floor standing boiler in the utility...
Replies
Views
D
Not sure how long this has been happening but some symptoms have been there a while - only noticed now as the house is cold in this weather plus I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock