Discuss Evacuated Tubes work with A2W ? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Hopefully this is in the right section. (Admin feel free to move if necessary).

I have a new build nearing completion. I went with a 7Kw split Ecodan system.

The house is extremely well insulated and air-tight.

If it wasnt for hot water for showers etc, we would expect the unit to be off 6 to 7 months of the year.

With the cost of electricity and PV solar having to come a ways further to break 20% efficiency, i’m holding out paying €15K on PV / Battery just yet as the only thing bringing down the ROI presently is the artificial hyper-inflation of energy production.

So…… what i was thinking of doing is having an evacuated tube array installed and combine this into the ecodan tank ?

My thought is this would prevent having an A2W unit running just for shower water.

Is this possible?

I would rather not have a complicated setup with 2 tanks etc, but if the tubes could heat the water and send into the reservoir tank of the Ecodan unit, that would be ideal.

I have no clue if this is possible, appreciate any guidance or advice.

Thanks
Tom

What size pv could you have ?

Be around 2600kwh a year then real world tbh I would suggest using the pv to heat via the immersion better system long run in my opinion

In the uk tubes arnt the best

Be around 2600kwh a year then real world tbh I would suggest using the pv to heat via the immersion better system long run in my opinion

In the uk tubes arnt the best

Thanks for that input Shaun,

Could i ask you though, could an evacuated tube array feed hot water into the reservoir tank of the Ecodan split unit or be combined with it in a cost efficient way for showers/sinks etc?

Dimplex tubes are fantastic here in the west of Ireland. Multiple installs looked at over the years that were installed as part of a grant scheme for warmer houses and the volume of hot water is exceptional.

They would feed into your hot water cylinder or a thermal battery if you had one fitted

They would feed into your hot water cylinder or a thermal battery if you had one fitted

Currently no hot cylinder, only this Ecodan unit.

Ecodan split unit has a 170liter hot water cylinder in it.

It had the provisions to take an input from PV to heat an additional coil.

My question is, could i use this tank and have the evacuated tube array feed this?

Hopefully i’m not driving you nuts Shaun 🙂

Attachments

• 2BADE5F2-C12B-4E6C-9693-DA5884BFE188.jpeg
    2BADE5F2-C12B-4E6C-9693-DA5884BFE188.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 6
You would need to get rid of that and install a heat pump compliant cylinder which you could feed into with your tubes

Reply to Evacuated Tubes work with A2W ? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We are having PV panels fitted which will dump the excess energy into our hot water tank. Our house originally had a large 210L economy7 hot...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
We have a pumped shower with a thermostatically controlled mixer valve. My wife complains that when she is having a long shower (hair wash etc)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I fix what I can around the house myself and have fixed a few toilets but I need help with this one. This toilet keeps running and stopping...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock