Search the forum,

Discuss Employ / subcontract / Apprentice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi Everyone,

Really busy and working every night till 10pmish, have tried apprentices but find young ones feel they are doing me a favour & time keeping/attitude is a problem. older ones are ok but expect too high wage for what they are worth. I was hoping to take someone on as apprentice & train them to how i like things done then keep them on and grow like this, but finding it is not working that way.

Considering taking on fully qualified engineer, but if i do i am unsure whether to employ or try sub contracting. wondering how others have expanded their business? how/where would you recommend recruiting? Any advise?

Seems a lot of companies such as swale, pimlico etc sub their work, does anyone else do this? how do you protect against them stealing work & do you find this way reliable? good workmanship?

Ideally i would like to kit someone out with van, uniform etc but for them to deal with their tax etc as this seems to be what most companies are doing?

Advise appreciated

Finding good people is hard. Sub contract would be my choice ad they are running a business already and should be more likely to have a good attitude. Might be the first person or you may go through a few. Dont have to pay ni contributions, pensions, van, insurances, tools, training, you know the rest. Add all these things up and an employed person would cost around 35k plus per annum before you make anything. You could always take on a school leaver as government pay half the wages and helps with training funding too, but they will know very little and would take time to be useful, but could be great in the long run. It depends on your situation and job type. If you need someone to hit the ground running, either employ someone if you have enough "spare" work or sub what needs covered, as required, or get help on the installs you do to save time leaving more for....whatever.

You can't have it both ways.
You can't kit someone out, give them a van and uniform because they will be deemed as as employee, not a sub contractor.
So you will have to be responsible for everything with employing a person.
As with apprentices, subbies can be hit and miss also.
It really is a tough situation.

Some guys like subbying because it takes the strain off them. Generally these ones, you have to pay higher than the average rate and pay them weekly.
I've just about given up on apprentices and are going to stick with well paid, promptly paid subbies.

I've trained enough kids and terminated employment of a fair few of them.
Maybe I'm old school and expect kids of today to have a thick enough skin and work ethic as they did 25 years ago.

Ive been in this situation for a few years. I find subbies unreliable and slack the moment your back is turned. Everyone wants top wages for doing the bare minimum.
I suggest going the employed route. That way you are more guaranteed loyalty rather than a subby who will constantly be on the look out for better paid work and leave without giving you any notice.
Its more of a risk, but will be a better long term solution.

I have also had no luck with apprentices. No one wants to work anymore. Last two have quit because they thought it would be easy.

thanks everyone for replies, i have taken on a young apprentice that actually seems to have a good work attitude.

Hopefully it continues as i would like to train someone up and hopefully keep them on and build my business this way.

Reply to Employ / subcontract / Apprentice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock