Discuss element for heated towel rail in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

handsomejackuk

Have had a heated towel rail fitted for a few weeks, and managed to pick up an element today cheaply... the rating on the towel rail is 150w, and the element is 400w.... i only want to use the heater on electric, as to plumb it in is real awaward position....

1st question is what liquid do i need to fill the radiator with...?

water..... oil...... or water with antifreeze / rust inhibitor...?

how much water does it need i understand that water expands when heated so is it best to fill it just below... turn it on for a while then adjust level when the rad is hot...?

how can i alter the tempertaure ?

is the tempaertaur set on the element.., or do i need a seperate theromstat...

picked up the element for £5.00 so if its not suitable for this radiator i can use it on something else anyway..

any advice. ?

Thoses elements are designed to be fitted to a towel rail installed as part of a heating system, this would then be able to take up the expansion. I dont think its a good idea to fit it as you suggest.

You will blow this apart if you use it as described. Basically you'll have an IED in the bathroom.

I hope you have a steel bath...

filled with used vegetable oil... it works real good...really hot... left it on all night last night, and towels were dry as a crisp...

bit of oil leakage on the floor but nothing to worry about...

Last edited by a moderator:
You will blow this apart if you use it as described. Basically you'll have an IED in the bathroom.

I hope you have a steel bath...

iss not in the bathroom, its next to my bed... was toasty last nite too...

Great that it's working for you but towel rads are only good for heating towels or drying snide £50 notes. If you want heat buy an oil filled heater. Will save you money.

Surface area and all that.

Have had a heated towel rail fitted for a few weeks, and managed to pick up an element today cheaply... the rating on the towel rail is 150w, and the element is 400w.... i only want to use the heater on electric, as to plumb it in is real awaward position....

1st question is what liquid do i need to fill the radiator with...?

water..... oil...... or water with antifreeze / rust inhibitor...?

how much water does it need i understand that water expands when heated so is it best to fill it just below... turn it on for a while then adjust level when the rad is hot...?

how can i alter the tempertaure ?

is the tempaertaur set on the element.., or do i need a seperate theromstat...

picked up the element for £5.00 so if its not suitable for this radiator i can use it on something else anyway..

any advice. ?

Hi
It is very simple
Turn the towel radiator correct way up and fill the radiator to the top manually with water using the top inlet point, leaving 2-3 cm (1 inch) gap for the water to expand (air gap)

[DLMURL="http://towel-radiator.com/Convert_Towel_Radiator_to_Electric_Version.pdf"]click here for more info[/DLMURL]

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to element for heated towel rail in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock