Discuss Electric heat only boiler installation advice for a charity please in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, would appreciate any advice please.

I assist a charity which is taking on a building which has stood empty for some years.
It will be used for archival storage and office/exhibit area.
Existing heating was blown air via a large commercial grade HVAC unit utilising a pressurejet oil burner. Long disused, and completely unsafe and unserviceable.
No mains gas available.

We intend to fit a heat only electric boiler system with rads via plastic pipe work. Most likely Potterton 12KW.

Electrical connection to be completed/signed off by competent person.

Can anyone offer any advice please? I’ve been repairing plumbing systems for many years but am not a heating engineer, and this sort of system is unfamiliar.

Many thanks.

I can't comment on electric boilers simply because I have no experience with them but what makes you think your old oil boiler is unsafe and unserviceable?

Heating electrically is always going to be expensive, do the charity own the building?

An LPG boiler is an option but you'd need someone to change the bottles over every now and then or remember to have a larger tank refilled.

Struggling to get my head around a 12KW wet boiler replacing a "large oil fired warm air heater"

In term of price per KW, electricity is approx 5 times more expensive than NG and 2.5 - 3 times that of oil and LPG.

If the electric boiler is sufficient than an LPG fed boiler would neatly offer an alternative.

Dont right off the warm air heater until an expert has had a look. I have converted from oil to NG and oil to LPG and depending on the type and age, can be done easier than you may think. Manufacturer support would be needed for a compatible LPG burner, along with any other internal components of the combustion chamber but many of the warm air units can take LPG, NG and Oil with some modifications. Or get it fixed... - Hope this helps,

I agree with bacon sandwich and gmartine. Electricity is efficient but also the most expensive. The reason I ask why you think your old boiler is past it's time is because a good engineer, be it oil, gas etc can revive most systems and keep them going. If your old oil boiler has been sitting unused for some time then check pump to start, check bearings, fit new nozzle, hoses and filters etc and she'll probably roar away. Check the rest of the system over as well. I personally don't have much experience with direct or indirect warm air oil boilers but I'm sure theres still something to be had yet.

I agree with bacon sandwich and gmartine. Electricity is efficient but also the most expensive. The reason I ask why you think your old boiler is past it's time is because a good engineer, be it oil, gas etc can revive most systems and keep them going. If your old oil boiler has been sitting unused for some time then check pump to start, check bearings, fit new nozzle, hoses and filters etc and she'll probably roar away. Check the rest of the system over as well. I personally don't have much experience with direct or indirect warm air oil boilers but I'm sure theres still something to be had yet.

Thank you yes, if It were an oil boiler with an above ground tank we would consider recommission.
But as stated it’s an oil fired heating and ventilation unit, with heat tubes running through. The pressure jet burner flames heat these tubes and combustion gases vent through a flue. The heat tubes are heavily corroded and the flue falling apart. Parts of the ventilation ducting are missing. And the underground tanks are far too neglected and damaged to ever consider using again. And the lift pump is missing.
Also our insurance most likely won’t cover such a system.
All things considered I believe my assessment of the current systems obsolescence is sound.
[automerge]1578671347[/automerge]
I also need to add that at this point in time, our electrical supply is unmetered.

Reply to Electric heat only boiler installation advice for a charity please in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled...
Replies
Views
Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 400 15kW Heat Only Boiler I've got air in the pump and one gas engineer has said I need to move the pipes as they are...
Replies
Views
N
Hi! We're looking for a consult for our 1905 built (renovated in 2010) victorian house for the future of our heating system. The house is 2...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Y plan open vent system, boiler 30+ years old, and requires replacement. My plumber is recommending fitting a new Viessmann 11kw...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would really appreciate some advice on a proposed change to my central heating circuit. I am able to divert excess electricity from my...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock