Search the forum,

Discuss Ecoflam minor 1 black smoke in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gam plumb

Hi, I have had two recent minor 1 burners with the same problem, thick black soot with ppm off the scale, checking & adjusting oil pressure & air makes no difference, first occasion I tried new nozzle, motor, pump checked flue etc, I rigged up a temp oil supply, both were on thermocon boilers one with balanced flue & second on a conventional flue. After speaking to many other engineers each with there own diagnosis, I have not got to the route cause, any help gratefully received

Burning too rich, insufficient air or too much fuel. Anything more than that would be guesswork without seeing the appliances.

Were the flues clear? Houses hadn't been cavity walled had they? Went to a thorn floor stander black as ace of spades, intake 50% cavity wall ! (Air bricks into compartment )

Thanks Roger.
im new to this site but this one is bugging me, I checked the air adjuster on both & went down a nozzle size to try to get them to run clean, with no joy on both burners, two burners with the same problem in a week ! I hoped that someone had come across the same problem

Firstly I would say, on the older Minor 1s, there is an air flap inside the air cover & it seizes sometimes closed or near closed.
Also, Minor 1s often have problem of leaks at where the nozzle tightens into. (a thread of ptfe seals it).
The more recent burners had an adjustable diffuser, which I found to be all set wrong & MIs wrong & needed set using CO2 readings until correct.

The balanced flue was straight out the side, I thought the seals on the flue had failed so It was burning its own gases, I pulled off the breather with no difference

Both were older ones with the flaps removed, no oil inside & I have had that before Best, but thanks for trying

Both were older ones with the flaps removed, no oil inside & I have had that before Best, but thanks for trying

Nozzle leak is hard to test, so make sure you rule it out.
Is the burner the type with adjustable diffuser?

Thanks best I will , but I,m pretty sure they are not leaking, neither have the adjustable diffuser

Thanks best I will , but I,m pretty sure they are not leaking, neither have the adjustable diffuser

Not a lot left to go wrong then, - as long as the air adjustment if actually opening/closing the air up or down? Bit suspicious if the burner is going equally bad no matter what adjustment you make.

Just wondering if you could bench test any of the boilers to test the flame?

Not a lot left to go wrong then, - as long as the air adjustment if actually opening/closing the air up or down? Bit suspicious if the burner is going equally bad no matter what adjustment you make.

Tell me about it ! It is opening & closing as intended, no matter what you do the ppm is throwing the analyser to cut out after a split second in the test point 4000+

smoke tester before you bung in your expensive analyser is best method

My thoughts exactly, only you got there before me!
Smoke pump will do the job & quick. If it's black there's no point in using anything else to test.

My thoughts exactly, only you got there before me!
Smoke pump will do the job & quick. If it's black there's no point in using anything else to test.

Point taken gents but that gives you an idea of how bad they are

it means you can get a 0 or 1 and wont kill your analyser as you will do with your method

I have been to a few like this including my own. The common thing with them all was flue gas leakage either from the flue which on the early ones were cut to length and taped which was a recipe for disaster. Did you run them up with the door off and the snorkel off. The burner gasket goes hard on those and splits. If everything else appears ok I would be looking at the fan or motor. The fan could be slipping and not delvering enough air or possibly the motor running a bit slow.
I take it is burning clean oil and not contaminated stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have said flue seals, even with the snorkel off it can draw air down there. Stuff up the outlet, put some smoke pellets in the combustion chamber and put the burner back with the solenoid coil unplugged and run and see if you get smoke leakage around the flue joints.

Thanks for all your advice guys, i have with the exception of the fan slipping tried all of the above, new burner gasket, countless nozzles, snorkel off, tea towel in the balanced flue, back door open, new motor, pump, fresh temp oil supply from a 25L drum, checked the air damper for operation opening/closing on the slider, bit the bullet today & put a new max 1 on it, fired up good as gold after a dam good clean up, i will get to the bottom of the problem with this burner even if it means sending it to Ecoflam

Had a Firebird condensing combi this week. Could not get the CO below 75ppm whatever I tried, with the snorkel off, flame spreader position altered or anything. Very puzzling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ecoflam minor 1 black smoke in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock