Discuss East London Plumbers (TradeTek/Rightio) - Have I been scammed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angryguy

I asked for a plumber to look at a faulty bathroom mixer tap and replace a toilet seat. The price was £109+VAT ph (London) which although high was the cheapest a quick search yielded. The guy puts the toilet seat on but says the tap can't be fixed and I need to get a new one and call them out again. I ask how long it should take and he says 30 minutes. I say £109 seems a bit steep for 30 minutes work and he offers me a reduced rate of £74+VAT ph. A bit annoying that I paid £109+VAT to put a toilet seat on but figure it's my own fault for not big prepared and having a new tap ready.

I get a new tap and call them out again. He calls me at 11.30 and I go and let him in to my gated car park so he enters my flat about 11.35. At about 12.40 he goes back to his vehicle to get the invoice. He coms back fiddles around a bit with the tap and gives it to me to sign at 12.50. At this stage he had not put the cost on so I asked him to do that first. I get charged £148+VAT as he went into the second hour. I had a look in on him every now and then but can't tell if he was time wasting at all (although he didn't appear to be moving particularly quickly). It just strikes me that there is a huge incentive for the plumber to finish near the start of an hour.

Have I been scammed? Is there anything I can do about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to check the times you've posted and correct them first?

You knew the cost up front, what do you want? Forget it an move on.

Find a guy you can trust through recommendations from friends, neighbours or colleagues. Then next time you wont have to play pot luck on the internet.

You knew the cost up front, what do you want? Forget it an move on.

Find a guy you can trust through recommendations from friends, neighbours or colleagues. Then next time you wont have to play pot luck on the internet.

Based on the first guy's estimate that changing the tap would be a 30 minute job I was anticipating it to be done within the hour. It is my suspicion that the work was deliberately dragged out in order to bill for a second hour that concerns me rather than the hourly cost.

Seemingly you have grounds for being angry.Having been offered a reduced rate of £74 they 'take it back 'by making sure they reach the second hour.Probably not the sort of people you would employ again ,but they probably don't care ,their business model doesn't seem to be based on customer satisfaction.You could try their customer service but you would be relying on their good will which I suspect may be non-existent.As advised try to find a local tradesman you can trust.

Last edited:
Next time you need something done, give me a shout. I am in East London and don't charge anywhere near that price!

Good Afternoon,
I am the Quality Manager for the above company and I am sorry that you have concerns with our services. Can you provide me with your job number to enable me to investigate further and contact you in regards to the above.
Many Thanks
Tradetek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to East London Plumbers (TradeTek/Rightio) - Have I been scammed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock