Search the forum,

Discuss Ducting pipe for water supply pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mickstep

Hi, I am renovating a house, and when I had a water meter fitted I took the opportunity to replace the lead supply pipe.

It's only a short 2 meter run from the meter to the kitchen and I managed to source some 25mm MDPE pipe by asking a builder for any offcuts they had lying around at a building site round the corner from my house.

However according to this a PDF I can't post a link to from Anglian water I will need an extremely short amount of 100mm ducting pipe, less than 500mm to protect the pipe as it passes through the wall of the house.

Has anyone got any idea how I can acquire this ducting pipe without having to buy 50m of the stuff? The nearby building site didn't have any offcuts of this lying around. Is anyone willing to post me some for a few bob on paypal?

Also, the pdf mentions the pipe should be buried at >750mm this to me since completely pointless since where the pipe enters the water meter is no more than 400mm, if the pipe will freeze it's going to freeze at that point whether or not I bury my pipe at 750mm.

Thanks

It's not up to you to decide what's pointless or not. If it freezes on the supplies side then that's their fault, if its on yours and you haven't followed the guidance then its yours with all the associated costs.

Just use a piece of 110mm soil pipe.

Consult the WRAS guide if you don't know what you're doing....

It's not up to you to decide what's pointless or not. If it freezes on the supplies side then that's their fault, if its on yours and you haven't followed the guidance then its yours with all the associated costs.

The thing is because of the extremely short run between where the water meter is and where the pipe enters the house, about metre, I don't think it's even possible due to the rigidity of the pipe to get it down that low, I have it deeper than the lead that came out.

Just use a piece of 110mm soil pipe.

Consult the WRAS guide if you don't know what you're doing....

Thanks for the advice.

In which case I would get it I writing from your WS that its ok to leave it like this but I bet you don't don't get a response in the short term.

Ask for a sit visit and get the chaps detail when he says its ok.

I'm in no hurry to backfill so I can wait for them. I suppose if needs be I can get it lower with a couple of elbows FWIW.

Thanks for your help.

you can always lagg the pipework thats not 750 down for added peace of mind.

as for the sleeve, your best bet is of a builder/building site.

http://www.wras.co.uk/pdf_files/Info note Schedule 2 paragraph 7 explained.pdf
(4) Any water fitting laid
below ground level shall
have a depth of cover
sufficient to prevent water
freezing in the fitting.
G7.7
Wherever practicable and except for pipes laid under a building, the vertical distance
between the top of every water pipe installed below ground and the finished ground
level should be:
a. not less than 750mm; and
b. not more than 1,350mm
G7.8
Where compliance with the minimum cover of 750mm is impracticable, and with the
written approval of the Water Undertaker, the water fittings should be installed as deep
as is practicable below the finished ground level and be adequately protected against
damage from freezing and from any other cause.

highlighted the relevant bits,
to my mind this translates to pipe less than 750mm being insulated inside a duct and with a slab above for added protection, but I wasn't able to find where this was from.

Go to civils merchant and get 75mm slow bend and 3m length of duct. Burdens, key line , Travis Perkins. Cut duct in half connect each half to either end of bend. Measure what u need and cut off. Wham. Cost u about. ÂŁ15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ducting pipe for water supply pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
plumber has not fitted water supply pipes level to tiles in shower, one side is approx 5-7 mm out of line, can i fit some sort of extension to resolve?
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock