Search the forum,

Discuss Domestic gas book? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all

as mentioned in another post I'm hoping to start a course for my acs tests. Although I haven't signed up with anyone yet I would like to be able to start learning the theory side of things so can anyone tell me what books I need to buy? I know training providers supply the books but if I don't start the course till September I'd like to get a head start.

Get the one you will use at the centre, or better still ask the centre for your book, have you paid a deposit or anything yet? If so I'm sure they will give you a book
Do yourself and the trainer a favour by not asking too many questions ahead of the rest of the group, it just wastes everyone's time

Read the installation instructions for a few boilers and bobs your uncle. Instructions are free.

[DLMURL]http://www.gb-gas.co.uk/CCount/click.php?id=20[/DLMURL]

a start

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Done mine a couple of months ago, some books that are good Corgi Domestic gas essentials and also the Viper gas manual are very good at all aspects.
Br Chris

Viper good ref for a starter. "Croppies domestic metrosexual boilers" is another excellent book hundreds of pages of useful info and tips on all boilers of distinction, all the pages other than the cover are glued together with a cutout for an "isar axe" and a cellophane cover with the following words printed on it "if less than 1Mw break glass and smash up appliance"

Last edited by a moderator:
i personaly find the viper a bit non technical compared to others. The corgi ones are ok, the niciec one are ok too. Tolleys is quite good.

My acs was through logic but I personally found the viper had more depth to it, I have heard that the bpec manual is very comprehensive but a bit awkward to reference

My acs was through logic but I personally found the viper had more depth to it, I have heard that the bpec manual is very comprehensive but a bit awkward to reference

The bpec is a good book, I think the format is very straight forward and logical, modules 1-15 for CCN follow the route through legislation, combustion then vents, controls flues etc, the way you would train from start, however there are still far too many typos in it, the recent version has some of them fixed from the last version which had about 20 I think, I had a printed list of what was in the book, module, page paragraph etc then what it should be changed to, when I issued new books we spent half an hour going through changing, which is ok if you have the corrections, I haven't had time or inclination to sit and go through the new version yet, that's on the to do list for doing at the caravan over the summer

Just a shout out for the NICEIC On Site Guide for Domestic Natural Gas. I find it thorough and well-aligned with the ACS syllabus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Domestic gas book? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an update, he like myself was gobsmaked at the level of abuse I got from asking a basic question. Thanks Tom for the DM, I managed to pass in 2019...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This line of work means I have on average 6+ months off a year, im thinking of training to become a domestic gas engineer in my time off to earn a bit extra...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing system. Plumbing, like most trades, seems to have two main aspects; design and installation. The installation part on my last two projects was painful...
Replies
Views
Please can anyone help or point me in the right direcrion. I have recently completed a 18 month bpec management learning programme (apprenticeship) I am now qualified in CCN1, CENWAT, MET1, Unvented, CONGLP1PD. I need to get my CONGLP1-LAV as that is the work I am hoping to predominately do...
Replies
Views
Hello, im going to be doing my acs training in next few months and want to get the some books, looks like the viper books are good has anybody used them? Or is there any you can recommend, just want some help before i buy, thanks lloyd.
Replies
Views
Aquarius
A
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock