Discuss Dodgey plumber and dodgey towel rail fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chris.percol

I'll not get into it all but I just had a crap experience of having a new heating system fitted with an unreliable plumber.

While I continue to wrangle with him I have a quick query. There is a leak coming from a towel rail he fitten in bathroom (new system is gas with radiators throughout whole house). It seems to be seeping through pipe/nut connection on right side of towel rail, leaking connection is is part of a tap fitting, forgive description I'm no plumber.

I'm confident leak is not coming from above but through connecting pipe joint. What would have to happen to get this fixed, tightening nut did not help? Will the whole gas system need to be drained?

Thanks for your help, I will better armed knowing what needs to be done.

Chris

A pic would help
If it's coming from the radiator tail it might just need more ptfe on threads
Turn off valves if pipe will move unscrew nut drain rad and unscrew tail add more ptfe about 20 turns will do it then reconect all and fill again if pressurised use fill loop and put pressure up to about 1 bar bleed rad then put up to 1 bar again
That's it it's tail leaking
Please add pic

if your rads are full of gas then you have been seen off by a dodgy plumber. other wise turn off the valves either side of the rad, crack a nut to drain the rad and reseat the insert into the rad if thats leaking with more ptfe tape or if its at the joints on the valves, tweak them up slightly to seal them off better on the olive. otherwise why not get him back to correct the leak, he may not be as dodgy as you think,sometimes the customers dont always realise the hassle involved in fitting a new system.

if your rads are full of gas then you have been seen off by a dodgy plumber. other wise turn off the valves either side of the rad, crack a nut to drain the rad and reseat the insert into the rad if thats leaking with more ptfe tape or if its at the joints on the valves, tweak them up slightly to seal them off better on the olive. otherwise why not get him back to correct the leak, he may not be as dodgy as you think,sometimes the customers dont always realise the hassle involved in fitting a new system.

The plumber has probably broken 12 appointments, been back once already to fix leak and an independent electrician said the state he left the electrics for the old emmersion was lethal...I'm a reasonable guy normally, this has been a stressful experience.

Anyway, included pic as requested.

Thanks for quick replies!

Chris

Attachments

• IMG00008-20100918-2145.jpg
    IMG00008-20100918-2145.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 121
Nice! Plastic Hep20 used straight up as a rad tail.

He's probably not put an insert into the plastic pipe and therefore the pipe is compressing too much and that's why it's weeping. Call him back. It's a new install. It should be leak free.

i agree with dannypipe probably no insert in the plastic pipe

steve

Ok so trying to defend the trade, but as I said in another post the state of some of our so called tradesmen beggars belief, agree with the above posts re insert and I luv the angled lockshield/rad valve!!!!!!!!!!! one he had in the van prehaps

How's the rest of it look, Chris? Are you happy with most of it? Did he do all heating system inc boiler and all pipework? Was he cheap?

to be honest you cant slate him for using hep to the rail - less joints under the floor and a lot do it, it would be customers request for copper or plastic if customer requests plastic i always fit copper tails for towel rails and that comes out of wall doesnt mean thats standard though. - if hes forgotten to put an insert in then thats another thing. Hes probably the type to throw these installs in and get his money, cheaper than the rest etc get the lad back if he wont tell him you have got a plumber ready to come in and will be sending him the bill to rectify problems under his gaurentee if thats ok - he'll soon come round. Not sure of your relationship with him now whether its broken down - its always better to be amicable with each other and sort things out - animosity only causes problems imo.

to be honest you cant slate him for using hep to the rail - less joints under the floor and a lot do it, it would be customers request for copper or plastic if customer requests plastic i always fit copper tails for towel rails and that comes out of wall doesnt mean thats standard though. - if hes forgotten to put an insert in then thats another thing. Hes probably the type to throw these installs in and get his money, cheaper than the rest etc get the lad back if he wont tell him you have got a plumber ready to come in and will be sending him the bill to rectify problems under his gaurentee if thats ok - he'll soon come round. Not sure of your relationship with him now whether its broken down - its always better to be amicable with each other and sort things out - animosity only causes problems imo.

I can slate him looks pants
Should of used chrome or at very least copper

I know you can get pipe covers for copper to use on radiator tails. Can you get them to fit over plastic?

If you do drain the system make sure you recharge with inhibitor.

Grey Hep20 / polyplumb pipe is not meant to be visibile. If you decide to paint it white, make sure you use an appropriate primer and heat resistant paint. Alternatively my merchant sells something called "pipesnaps" which cover unsightly pipe.

My guess is either a ppipe with no insert or a brass olive and no PTFE tape. I ALWAYS use PTFE tape on any compression fittings onto plastic.

Sorry but visible plastic pipe to me says absolutely no pride in your work. If you don't take pride in your job how can you install a decent one.

But everyone is probly right. No insert.
Would be interested to know the size of the job and how much he charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dodgey plumber and dodgey towel rail fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock