Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need Honeywell frost stat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

berlumberley

Hello all. My first post.
I have a Vaillant eco tec boiler in the garage with built in frost stat. There is also a Honeywell frost stat inside the garage wired up to the boiler. The boiler is coming on when the temperature dips but all radiators get very hot and stay on for ages (days) even when temp raises. They eventually do shut off but it's costing a fortune. I think that the plumber may have "fixed" the frost stat when he rewired the heating system in the summer because we didn't have this problem last winter (and it was very cold for weeks on end). Do I need the external frost stat if the boiler has an internal one and if not can I just disconnect it. Many thanks.

Sounds like its not wired up right ! should not need externel frost stat, the one in the boiler will only protect the boiler, the room stat in the house will protect the house. probable old frost stat is left over from older boiler.

Open the stat cover and see what he has set it at. May be too high.
Being in the garage, I would keep it. IMHO

It is set to 5 degrees and probably is kicking in about there. Just gets too hot and doesnt switch off and causes the rads to get hotter than they would normally do. I would have thought that it would act as protect only and cut out as soon as it was protected rather than make us all sweat! If it's the wiring I'd better get someone to have a look. Thanks.

Sounds that boiler isnt being controlled by frost stat or room stat. Your running on boiler stat temperature. Needs to be looked at mate.

Why not ring Vaillant and ask what they think, but it needs sorting!!

Or you could use a pipe stat wired in with the external frost stat, this would help to protect the pipework but at lower temperatures.

Sounds like frost stat is set too high.. Turn it down to lowest setting.. If that doesn't work you could remove it.. The frost stat may not be needed ,depends how much pipework is in garage and if it is lagged.

as anton sez, put pipe stat on RETURN an set to bout 7-10 deg an insulate all pipework. imo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do I need Honeywell frost stat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock