Search the forum,

Discuss disconnecting gas from torch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andekoch

how many of you remove the gas bottle from the torch when you put it back in the van after a job?
Just wondering since doing mainly half to 1 day jobs at the moment and am getting sick of removing the bottle all the time.

its better to leave the torch connected, especially when have less than a full bottle of gas.

Not thought about this one before. I always take them apart so they can fit in my toolbox and also feel it's slightly safer.

allways strip mine down after each day or next day at least.
as sometimes it may be a couple of days before i use it again.

if your van goes bang, try explaining to insurance that you couldnt be bothered to make safe flamable materials. imo.

if you strip them down daily you czn loose the seal in the torch if your not careful then they leak really well. whats wrong with turning off the gas valve and locking the igniter shut, you dont disconnect your cooker each night do you?

as said above - i dont disconnect, bout 4 years ago i did until, went to back of van one day opened door and had van full of gas due to faulty bottle.
glad i didnt have a *** on - for a change !!

a couple of years ago one of our guys wrote off a brand new transit van when his blowlamp leaked in the back of the van due to it rolling around, he parked it and went into the house and it got ignited from something, and by the time one of his neighbours seen it and alerted him it had set the whole van alight due to all the stuff in it, very unlucky and unlikely to happen again but we all got the full safety update of removing nozzle, refitting dust cap on bottle and fitting bottle and refill in 4" pipe with cut out lagging in back of van (usual H&S over reaction but it did cost them a van and ÂŁ1000 or so in stock)

I usually have mine in the front of the van with me because i keep losing me lighter

i left it connected but had a built in position for it, then it didnt role round and i felt safer with it connected bu with the torch firmly in off position

I never disconnect mine which is why I probably get through so many torches due to damage in the back of the van. I just lock the button and leave it connected.

I usually have mine in the front of the van with me because i keep losing me lighter

Quality, just watch your eyebrows! :D

Last edited:
I never disconnect mine which is why I probably get through so many torches due to damage in the back of the van. I just lock the button and leave it connected.

ive never soldered with a lighter, is it good?

yep set caught me eyebrow once, also set fire to me beard, and once burnt me hand with the end of the torch causing me to drop me *** into me crotch. but as me old man once said to me "when yer in the plumbing game you ave to made of asbetos" :cool:

I remember years ago at a garage near here a welder used an oxy cutter to light a *** and set fire to his moustache.

Silly T**t

If you can time it just right a very quick ingite and off can be very good for removing nasel hairs.

A well padded area in yer van?????? is that next to the straight jacket!!!!!

got mine in a metal clip boc in a foam liner ÂŁ55 a hit 4 years and still like new and a sweet pencil flame magic

Always carry a spare can, and always take the can from the torch, so actually have to cans of gas in the van. Never had a problem....though I must add, I have had the odd can over the years that leaks when you take the torch off...we're talking the a tiny leak, but enough for me to warrant sticking the torch back on the can.

i have a pice of 4" pipe cut down and zip tied in the back of the van i secure it in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to disconnecting gas from torch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock