Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Dirty expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Willknapo

Hello folks
My expansion tank in the loft has got a lot of sludge type substance in it why is this?
And also should the water in the tank be hot?

if its alot no and does it have a lid

no the water shouldn't be hot

It ideally should be fairly clean inside the expansion tank, but some slight scum floating or lying sediment is often in them.
Your tank should definitely not be warm and this could be a result of water pumping up the vent pipe - which is a disaster to entire heating systems as introduces oxygen and will destroy rads, fittings and boiler in a year or so. The water being warm can also be due to incorrect feed pipework, but either way you need to get a heating engineer to find out what is causing it.
Dirt in the tank water can be a result of corrosion

Just had another look and the water is definitely warm but there is no water entering the tank from the vent pipe?

Just had another look and the water is warm but nothing coming out of the vent pipe

back filling via the feed pipe it sounds like

Ive never found a clean F&E tank but there are limits to how much muck it should contain.
If your F&E tank is getting warm its probably due to the way your system was installed. A lot of installations are done where the combine the feed & overflow pipework or install the feed from the tank after the pump. Both these methods can allow your tank to get warm. If you are concerned get a decent installer out to check your system.

The system is from the 70s so you may be right. I think I will try and run some cleaner through the system and clean out the F&E tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dirty expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
Hello want to know on how do you calculate size of expansion tank for closed heating systems . for example 500 meters of 16mm underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have noticed for a while now that when our washing machine nears the end of a cycle we get a bad smell of dirty water in the downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock