Search the forum,

Discuss Directgov jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jut

I know some people say things are bad in this trade at the moment, but I have just done a job search on Directgov jobs and skills search - Job Homepage

and over 20 jobs are on offer in the last 6 weeks. This was 15 miles from my home town.

I did the same search for my current job and there are 0 results found.

This is why I have started NVQ level 2 (6189-11) at night school. I know some people say at 36 I have missed the boat but I feel I have a lot to offer and would love to learn a skill the right way. I am loving the learning at college at the moment but know I will need to get real life experience.

I'm 30 and only been in this game a short while. It can be done but don't be fooled into thinking you'll be earning loads of money!

Also being on the job is a lot harder then you'll find it in a class room.

Good luck with your training though and try and find someone you can work with to gain experience as that's priceless!

20 jobs within 15 miles, don't want to dampen your spirits but how many unemployed heating engineers / plumbers are there within a 15 mile radius?
Good luck with your training, I hope you do well but I hope you come into the trade with your eyes open, we are not all living like kings, some have no work right now, no steady incomes, no pension and no sick pay. If you don't work you don't earn. If you can hack that then good luck.

funny you should mention that, i regularly check whats on offer and it always comes up with 20 jobs within 15 miles!.

when you know what you are looking for this can be cut down to about '6' actual jobs.

2 jobs i know advertised are for one company i know are closing down.
4 jobs are for utilities companies who want people who have already worked for them.
3 jobs are nothing to do with actual plumbing and heating.
2 jobs are office based.
4 jobs are breakdown engineers for the big boys at £12 an hour with own van and tools.
5 jobs are for actual plumbing firms starting around £8 per hour depending on experience.

groovy baby.

by the way, never yet seen any for trainee?!!!

Jut - Unless you personally know someone then you're going to find it virtually impossible to get a job. I went to college for 2 years, passed with flying colours. Im 24, have wrote to endless companies with only wanting expenses and experience in return. A year on.....nothing!

Code:
if I was an employer this is what I would look for as a minimum

NVQ/SVQ3
ACS CCN1 CEN1 CPA1
at least 5 years experience in the industry(including apprenticeship)

most employers want at least 3 years post apprenticeship experience, sometimes more

Last edited:
to be fair that is how i got my subby work from this site, but i had to go for interview provide photos of work and qualifications and they also phoned up my references, something a fast tracker wouldnt have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Directgov jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock