Search the forum,

Discuss Didnt like having to AR warm air unit! in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Knappers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had to switch off an old fellas heating today as he had no fixed ventilation for warm air unit, tried to argue the benefits of letting him use it but was bashed with the letter of the 'law' by gassafe advisor.
I totally get the point but when does it become ok (no a requirement) to leave an 80+ dementia patient without heating because of a fault with the boiler that I can prove isn't an issue?

The fella is going into a home and the new owners want a safety cert so he'll be gone in a few weeks.
Now these old warm air units take a bit of dodging to pass at the best of times, they all blow back a little on ignition and I was once laughed at by manufacturer for trying to analyse the POC.
This install in a leaky old house hasn't had purpose provided ventilation for probably over 40 years but under any circumstance I could create it draws like a champ, the heater exchanger is flawless and has no major flaws (for a warm air unit) I even tested ambient CO.

So if it hadn't been under the scrutiny of 5 separate parties I would have been inclined to complete a risk assessment and conclude that the health risks associated with shutting down appliance was was far greater than the risk of the house suddenly hermetically sealing itself and causing the boiler to become dangerous.

When did it become LAW for me to have to blindly follow a set of guidelines and not balance my knowledge of them, years of experience and on site findings?

Why can't I advise the clients, issue a warning notice, label and CO alarm accompanied by a risk assessment explaining why boiler has been left running.

I've just had a call from another engineer complaining because I didn't remove the fuse when I isolated the appliance (oops) and suggesting that because the guy has dementia I should have capped it off!?????

Is it me thats delusional? I'm trying to tow the line (that I broadly agree with btw) its just not sitting well with me!

Last edited:
Commercially we can leave things on with a risk assessment eg assisted living

it’s one of them

No just domestic house.
I'm commercial engineer too but just do domestic now, think that's my problem.
I'm used to having to use my judgement.

Gassafe tech basically jumped down my throat when I suggested a risk assessment.
His words were something allong the line of "what on earth do you think gives you the right to ignore the law!"
The "me" response didn't go down well.

A bit too high and mighty I think :D unfortunately they can be condescending some times

I'm still concerned about the old boy and think in the circumstances there should have been another option available.
Is the risk assessment for care homes etc covered under H&S legislation and duty of care do you know?
Would the carehome take responsibility?

Yep or vulnerable housing normally have to keep them on at all costs same with hospitals

Its difficult as obviously they have supervision and a legal obligation to rectify ASAP
Where as my guy needs motivation to get it sorted, which seems to be suffering through the cold in the middle of winter?

Yep sounds like all you can do is book 3-4 elec heaters down to the job least you’ve done your best

Is it me thats delusional? I'm trying to tow the line (that I broadly agree with btw) its just not sitting well with me!
Not delusional, but sounds like you are used to using your brain. Which isn't all that common a trait.

I had a sparkie insist on strongly recommending an 'improvement' on a house I used to rent out. Didn't like the clearly labelled fridge/freezer ONLY socket which had no RCD (despite the then electrical regs having a clear stated reference to this being okay). People don't like seeing anything that is unusual. My thought was that it was for a specific purpose, the tenants understood the purpose, there were so many other available kitchen sockets that there was no reason to think the tenants would feel the need to use it for anything else, and the risk of power failure and food poisoning exceeded the risk of shock from a fridge which was hard to PAT test because pretty much everything was painted or plastic so it was a struggle to find any way of testing the earth connection. No exposed metal: no shock possible!

After a argument by email, we compromised on a weak recommendation for 'improvement' which I then ignored.

Thanks Ric2013. Its not easy with all the regs, then we've got paraphrased and abridged versions in the form of Guides.
Same as with sparks, were expected to be an authority and confident with the 'rules' but there's so many grey areas and contradictions written into them - its silly, the reason none of them are actually law and rather just supported by law is they would never stand up on their own.
Gas regs especially are a bit of a joke, spread across probably 50+ documents all overlapping, published by different bodies and largely inaccessible. Anyone who claims to have a comprehensive understanding must be a Savant and would likely be incapable of using basic tools.

And most coming down to engineers judgment:D

Granted having domestic, commercial, LPG (inc boats, caravans, LAV etc), testing and purging and full scope Part P tickets etc..etc.. doesn't help my clarity of thinking

Granted having domestic, commercial, LPG (inc boats, caravans, LAV etc), testing and purging and full scope Part P tickets etc..etc.. doesn't help my clarity of thinking
Well, I'd much prefer having someone of your ilk working in my house. Pity you're in Rugby.

You sound like the type who when asked, "Would you be able to run the pipe, flue, etc. this way (even if it costs more) rather than that way?" would at least be able to explain the technical reason rather than just say, "Oh no, that's not how it's usually done".

True story: a plumber friend of mine was working in an engineer's house and several tradesmen complained that he was questioning everything. My friend had no problem with him, however. Basically he just felt a need to understand the system that was being installed, and was interested. My friend answered his queries, he was happy, and then he started making her teas.

True story: a plumber friend of mine was working in an engineer's house and several tradesmen complained that he was questioning everything. My friend had no problem with him, however.
IME, asking a tradesman why they recommend doing something in a particular manner is a fairly reliable way to whether they are good. If they are happy to answer and explain the pros and cons you've probably found a good 'un.

Reply to Didnt like having to AR warm air unit! in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock