Search the forum,

Discuss Dear John (right or wrong?) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Knappers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
"Hi Mr *****, thankyou for your enquiry but unfortunately I am not able to help any further.
I believe you've found my last five quotes unacceptable and as I quoted to replace the item that is currently faulty in 2021, I can only assume that it will still need replacing.
Quotes are time-consuming and therefore expensive for me to complete.
I think maybe you might find a better fit and more suitable quotes elsewhere.
Kind Regards"

I had a customer a couple of years ago that had a quote for a whole new system. He was upfront about maybe not doing it for a while but after 2 years of preferential treatment (Out of hours calls, and a spot of leniency on some bills).
He decided to get someone else in because I was on holiday for a week.
I found out when I got back and recieved a call to fix the new boiler!😆
"Good luck 👍"

He was upfront about maybe not doing it for a while but after 2 years of preferential treatment (Out of hours calls, and a spot of leniency on some bills).
I learned early not to take 'jam tomorrow' deals/promises. Either 'tomorrow' never comes or it comes but the jam has run out.

Re post #1, my advice is never be snarky to a customer. Always be polite and businesslike, and never make it personal. Just say something like "We have a lot of work on the books at the moment and so must, with regret, decline your invitation to quote on this occasion." If they plead with you after this, you can say "Okay, but I'll have to charge you £X but I'll deduct that from the invoice once the work is complete."

As above, a reasonable cost to quote which can be taken as partial deposit once works are confirmed.

In regards to your email I don't think its too bad. Pretty well restrained if you've done 5 quotes for him already.

I did write-up that msg but I agree with chuck
What I actually sent was "Sorry but I'm unable to help with this"
& when he chased me I replied again with:
"I am familiar with the system. I believe I quoted to replace it in 2021.
Unfortunately I'm unable to help any further."
(He's a landlord and not hard-up just tight!)

To be fair I made it very clear at the time it needed to be replaced ASAP and I'm actually quite pleased With my 'temporary repair'.

I wouldn't mind keeping his Rubbish running, just wish he didn't keep asking for quotes!

Reply to Dear John (right or wrong?) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock