Discuss Damp concrete floor in extension, tiles breaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cammy0102

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could provide some guidance dealing with a very difficult situation I'm in.

Some of you helped me with another issue (broken drain pipe) here:
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...-sewerage-pipe-garden-options.html#post913865

It's probably going to be a long post to explain the situation so bear with me please.

I have a ground floor 2 bed Victorian garden flat (period conversion) in West London. I bought this flat about a 14 months ago and did a full refurbishment with new plumbing, heating, flooring, bathroom and kitchen.
There's an extension at the back of the house (I think this was probably built in the 80s when the house was converted to 2 flats) that houses the bathroom and the kitchen.

Here are couple of pictures to give you an idea of the layout

House, garden, patio and drians - Album on Imgur

Flat layout

Current situation:

About 6 months ago I started noticing that a floor tile in the bathroom was starting to crack. This gradually got worse with this tile lifting up then spreading to a couple of other tiles around it.

Tiles cracking and lifting up

Last Saturday, I my builder's men came around to have a look. They removed about 6 floor tiles and we found that the concrete floor underneath was quite damp and concrete was crumbling (mostly where the tile first started cracking) and still quite damp nearby as well (though not as much).

Damp concrete floor in the bathroom

The guys weren't really sure what was causing the damp. Initially I was thinking it was a leak from a pipe in the floor but according to them, there weren't any pipes going through the floor in the bathroom and the new pipes installed were in the walls.

There were 3 possibilities for the damp according to them -
1. The water pipe connected to the sink tap or the pipe taking waste water away from the sink (both of them are in the wall) is leaking and this water is going to the floor down the wall and is saturating the floor.
2. water leak from the toilet in to the floor
3. The floor in the extension wasn't made properly and is getting damp

They reckon if it's a leak from the toilet or pipes in the wall, it's easy enough to fix. I'm stressed that the damp in the floor is due do a badly built extension. We left it for a few days to see if it dries out and then go from there.

Background and possible causes

When I bought this flat, the day I got the key, I found that there was a leak from the old bathroom and there was a lot of water on the the bathroom floor and living room floor and all the surrounding walls saturated. If I remember correctly, where the new tiles started cracking was roughly where the old pipe was leaking (they were in a box so we had to break the box and to see the leak and then stop the water mains).

We started renovations about a month later and I remember the walls in the living room near the bathroom had damp patches that didn't dry out so I had to get damp proofing people to hack off plaster and add water proof plaster in the living room.

My builders removed the old floor tiles from bathroom and kitchen. Partition walls in the bathroom and kitchen were also removed and new walls installed. I don't remember much about the concrete floor in the bathroom but I do remember the kitchen floor (after the old tiles were removed) looking a bit damp and the plumber kept saying the floor was quite wet. This guy was there last Saturday and I mentioned about the kitchen floor but he said the kitchen floor did try out mostly eventually.

My building survey at the time of the purchase, highlighted high ground level outside, at the back of the house. Also it was paved right up to the building with no gap.
At the time, I didn't know about damp issues so I didn't think of much of this. But because of the damp walls I had, recently I decided to lower the ground level in time for winter so got a new patio few weeks ago. My landscape gardeners removed the old patio (had paving bricks on one half and concrete slabs on the other), reduced the ground level by 10-20 cm and put in a new patio with a 'french drain' (I am not sure if this was a proper french drain but more about this later).

My landscape gardeners also mentioned that, previously waste water from the plastic pipes outside the bathroom (carrying waste water from the bathroom and kitchen) were let straight on to the old patio (brick paving) and that this water was not connected to a drain. I am not sure how many years it was like this but it's possible this water was going in to the building perhaps causing some of the damp issues. When new patio was installed, my landscape gardeners installed a gully in the patio to collect the water from these 2 waste water pipes.

The flat roof on the extension was really old and was probably leaking as well. I remember there was a lot of mould on the walls in the kitchen and bathroom.

It's worth mentioning that tiles in the old bathroom and kitchen seemed fine and I can't remember seeing any cracks. So this damp floor might not have been there for years (you'd think the old tiles would have cracked if the floor was damp for a long time).

The fact that the tiles started cracking in one area (and the concrete is crumbling around this) plus tiles only started cracking this year suggest that this might be caused by a leaking pipe or toilet but then what caused the kitchen floor to be damp, during renovations? Maybe it was the water from the big leak at the time of the purchase or water leaking from the roof. Maybe there are multiple factors here.

Hope it's not too confusing for you to understand. What do you guys think? What could be causing the dampness in the floor? How should I go about investigating/fixing this?

I guess my worst fear is that the concrete floor in the extension wasn't installed properly and the moisture is rising from the saturated ground. If this is the case, to fix the floor, I'd have to rip out the new kitchen and the bathroom which I don't really want to do!

French drain

OK finally the french drain..I told landscaper gardener I wanted the ground level reduced (with a new patio) and a french drain that went around the back of the house and the extension.

New patio, gully and french drain

But all he's done is leave about a 10-12 cm gap between the house + extension and the patio and back filled it with gravel. So the french drain isn't any deeper than the depth of the patio + type 1 base. I'm guessing this is about 15-20 cm deep maybe less. The new ground level is about 10 cm lower, near the extension and about 20 cm lower near the living room. Do you think the 'french drain' needs to be deeper?

Thank you in advance for your input and apologies again for the long post.

PS: I bought an EcoAir DD122 dehumidifier start of this year because of the damp problems I had. I left this in the bathroom last couple of nights so the floor might dry out but so far I haven't seen a difference. problem is because there's no power socket for it in the bathroom, i have to plug it in the kitchen so I can't close the bathroom door properly hence it's not fully closed. Could I get an adaptor for the shaver socket and plug the dehumidifier in to this?

Last edited by a moderator:
As for a reply:

The standard of plumbing done, from the pics provided, does leave a lot to be desired.
Flexible waste connections, the bath waste flexi runs uphill. It should have fall from the outlet of the trap.
Concealed flexible water connections - installed where you have to remove tiles to access them.

As for the insurance - I would contact them as soon as possible.
If that's the standard of work being done at your place and places that are worth a lot more than yours, I would be contacting my insurance company sooner rather than later.

Better to be the first in and get a claim before someone else send him broke.

Once he's broke - contracts are about as useful as soiled toilet paper!

Guess who pays for rectifications then......You!!

Isn't that flexible waste pipe from the bath connected to the overfill at the top of the bath and then connected to the waste pipe at the bottom of the bath? If so it's not running up hill, it's taking waste down.
I have just emailed the builder and will ring him later. I mentioned to him about the flexible pipes.

To be honest, I don't think he's going to go broke any time soon. He's got multiple teams working for him on various projects across London and he's been doing refurbishment work for a good number of years. And I know most of his clients are happy (I saw a couple of projects before I gave him the job). It might have been this particular 'plumber' he used for my flat. But yes he's responsible for the work carried out by his men. I don't think he actually checked their work.

One thing I don't want to do is rip out everything and re-do it all which will take at least a couple of months. I went through a lot of stress during refurbishment and don't want to go through that again.

The other builder I spoke to said get the issue in the bathroom resolved and if there are no problems in other areas then don't stress about it. He said give my builder a chance to fix the issue. I also got this guy to check the flat after the refurbishment (albeit the cosmetic stuff) and he was happy with the finish.

If this is not resolved, then I will get insurance involved but not just yet.

In that case, when you find out where the water is coming from, let us know.

You've had the pan removed, tiles ripped up from the floor, tiles ripped off the walls, apparently new plumbing throughout, surface water under the bath, surface water on top of the new tiles and you've requested information on unobtrusive leak detection.

But...your happy with the work done and the work performed by the builder.
And you even admit that the person who did the Plumbing may not be qualified.

If I were you, I wouldn't only be getting my insurance company involved, I would also be getting legal advice.

Sorry but your solution sounds like a knee jerk reaction. I would have gone with insurance if the builder wasn't cooperating but he is.

There could have been multiple issues contributing to damp - water trapped in the old floor from previous bathroom floor, poorly built floor in the extension and no DPM, higher ground level outside the bathroom and waste water going back in to the building and finally a leak.

There's no surface water on top of the tiles (the water you saw on the tile was the water in the toilet brush container which I accidentally knocked over).

I made an insurance claim for damaged drain pipes in the garden only a couple of weeks ago so not so keen to jump on to another claim without giving the builder a chance to resolve it.

I asked about leak detection tests as builder mentioned this. I am certainly not going to pay for this - it will be up to him to use whatever method to find the leak and fix.

I suspect the builder's guy will have to remove the bath and possibly a couple more tiles from the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to the builder before and talked about all my concerns. He's sending guys to take the bath out and find the leak this Saturday. He's also going to show the pictures to his Corgi guy to get feedback on the work of the plumber he's used.
anyway he told me not to stress and that he'll take care of it. He said he'll use his insurance if he has to and also he'll do tests if they can't find the leak in the bathroom. Bit more relieved now.

sounds like you have a good builder there.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic but if you weren't, he's a decent enough guy and so far has been fully cooperating hence I don't want to go down Insurance route yet. I still haven't made the full payment either so he's not going to get the money until it's sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damp concrete floor in extension, tiles breaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock