Search the forum,

Discuss Damaged pipe repair? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

108pb

Hi all

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask, but I'm hoping you can help me with the problem I have. We have hired a gardener for some landscaping work. Yesterday while he was using his kango to remove some concrete on the floor where we want a gravel path instead he damaged a drainage pipe. I am not sure what pipe it is exactly, but it looks like a major one, being around 4.5" diameter. The hole, which you can see below (the grey stone on the left is the bottom of our outside kitchen/utlity room/bathroom wall), is about 1.5" long and .7" at its widest.

damaged pipe 1.jpg

I have 2 questions:

1. The gardener himself claims that the hole was already there. This seems extremely unlikely to me, since there was a layer of concrete right on top of it, and we haven't had any problems with the drainage in the 2 years we've lived here. Also, the standard of his work in general has generally left a few things to be desired, so I am just not sure he really knows what he's doing. Is there any way that a qualified plumber would be able to assess whether the damage is recent or has been there for a long time? The reason I am asking this is that if a repair is costly, I will try to get some compensation from the gardener if an expert can tell me that the damage is recent.

2. What sort of repair is likely to be needed? Can this sort of thing be patched up or will we need a new pipe?

Thanks very much in advance for your advice!

Looks like your main drain pipe that eventually leads to the main sewer. You should be able cut a section out with an angle grinder to get 2 clean faces and piece it through with 2 of these [DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Clay-To-110mm-Black-PVCu-Drain-Adaptor/p/430042"]Wickes Clay To 110mm Black PVCu Drain Adaptor | Wickes.co.uk[/DLMURL] and some 110mm waste pipe [DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-110mm-Terracota-Drain-Pipe-Length-3000mm/p/432001"]Wickes 110mm Terracota Drain Pipe Length 3000mm | Wickes.co.uk[/DLMURL] You dont need to cut alot out, just enough to get the 2 adaptors on, and a short stub of pipe.

Once you have cut the section out and repaired it with the above items, test it. Make sure its water tight. If so, now you can back fill with pea gravel [DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-10mm-Gravel-Major-Bag/p/220128"]Wickes 10mm Gravel Major Bag | Wickes.co.uk[/DLMURL] make sure you push the gravel underneath the pipe and completely cover it on top.

But just remember, whilst your cutting this out, dont let anyone use the toilet......:90:

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hard to tell weather the damage was already there, was there soil then concrete or just concrete on top

Is the pipe plastic or clay?

What was be using to remove the soil/concrete

That hole looks about the same size as a pick

Its hard to tell weather the damage was already there, was there soil then concrete or just concrete on top

looks to be plastic to the left and clay to the right

and concrete breaker

looks like iron to me and an old hole not clean?
cant see its his fauld as its hidden beneath the concrete you asked him to remove!!

i can see various ways of patching that with 50p worth of materials and an hours labour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot guys. It looks like the repair won't be that expensive then, which is a relief of course, also since given the gardener's attitude I suspect I will end up paying for it myself.

I'm not sure, as the concrete is now all gone and I wasn't around when he removed this particular slab.

The piece with the hole in it feels like plastic (rubbing off some of the dust I see that it's got that typical reddish brown colour); the piece coming out of the wall seems to be clay.

He used a sledgehammer for most of the path, but a kango for the bits against the wall.

Yes, or a kango...

cant you clean the pipe and fit a half section 'patch' over it and glue it on then concrete over?
or put a rubber coupling slip over it!

I reckon the slip coupling is the best option. It looks like it's right up against a wall. Not a lot of space to work with.

I'd agree that it's old, the chipped part of the pipe would be clean if it was fresh damage.

didnt you tell him there was a pipe under the concrete, did you ask him to check for pipes, elec or water pipes first before digging? As always its rather hard to apportion blame if you hire in someone, probably cheaply and then things go wrong, if he isnt insured them its a waste of time chasing him really.

Thanks again all. The gardener in question is also a general handyman, and it turns out that he's prepared to repair the damage. Whether or not he has caused it is irrelevant to me at this point, as I think this is a fair solution. For the sake of completeness, he is on traderregister with quite a lot of reviews (which is how we found him), and is not especially cheap.

nice one Soulman, that's what I would do. cut out a small piece and replace using two rubber boots. if this was under concrete and had been leaking for some time there would be black silt around the break and it would STINK!!!!
be nice and ask him to sort it out, if he says no ask him to go half on the repair, if he still wont put his hand in his pocket just say " fine but I will plaster this all over facebook".

In my opinion, you need to be careful with cutting it with the grinder as I had it few times that the pipe cracks because of the age.

I may would dig it a bit out around the damaged area and take a metal hacksaw.

Afterwards just simple cast iron straight coupling connector and a little piece of 4" plastic soil pipe and tighten up. I would do this type of work rasther than patching it up.

Doesn't take long is not cost effective and it's sealed in proper way.

But the hole looks like it's been damaged because of the gardener not necissairly old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damaged pipe repair? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains pressure from small hole/crack The outside of pipe (measured with veneer caliper) at 23.5mm Pipe Runs under drive, along side of property and looks to go...
Replies
Views
D
small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ? Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe which serves the sink & shower in the loft when doing some work in the toilet underneath on the ceiling i have cut away the plasterboard to reveal...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job he did he overcharged me, caused a little damage in my kitchen where he was working and after many requests has not provided me with a receipt ( 7...
Replies
Views
Bungalow built in 2001. All copper pipework (water and heating) runs in channels of expanded foam polystyrene between a concrete floor and OSB boards. Pipe are lagged in stitched felt and what looks like bubble wrap with sand (?) over the top. During the bathroom refit, I lifted up some of the...
Replies
Views
D
I have been given a quote to fix a noisy tap. Apparently they have to “replace breech to main shower” — which I understand to mean the thing one level behind any normal work on a tap. (“It is worn down and still has a small crack in it.”) “This will have to be done through the Gyprock wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock