Search the forum,

Discuss Damaged flue! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kavanagh

Hi. I noticed a flue had been punctured with a pad saw when an access panel had being made. The small holes have gone through the outer flue but thankfully not the inner! I've been given mixed advice so far. One person saying it doesn't matter because its only the outer flue, and someone else advised that because the flue had been damaged, that section of flue should be replaced? Could anyone tell me for certain please?

I'd go with the 2 letters!

you should be turning the appliance off and getting a GS engineer to sort the problem out for you.

Is The person who advised you it doesn't matter named as a beneficiary in your will? Cause that's the only reason I would give that kind of advice
GET IT ATTENDED TO IMMEDIATELY and until then SWITCH IT OFF AND DONT USE IT

youre very philosophical for this time of night mr cropster!

Should see what I told the sparky!

As Simon said. I'm helping you avoid killing yourself. I know you're thinking "It's just a trap!" but that trap is part of the flue.

Cock it up and you won't be hopping around sucking your fingers.

You'll be lying on the floor. You'll have turned blue and long stoped breathing. But to make it even more humiliating you'll have soiled yourself first.

The O.P has been advised by 2 different people.

1 is obviously a GSR, who if they have actually seen it should have I.D'd it.
The other if also a GSR needs to have a serious think about his or her future in Gas work.

Thanks for your comments. I did think that would be the response I got! This happened at a site i was working on, and i've been told the flue is being sorted by GSR engineer. So just for my knowledge, any damaged part of a flue, even the outer flue, appliance to be isolated untill flue replaced?

Its not ID it's AR.
Its the air part of the flue so nothing immediately dangerous about it. The majority of flues come with bands that have no seal whatsoever.
It does need changing tho and can't be left.

Seems a bit over the top though, most telescopic flues just ask for tape to be put over the joint, that includes then hiding it in a cavity, surely the same could be done here.

Since i have nothing to do tonight lets do a wee calculation.
The pad saw poked a hole through the flue say 3mm wide 4mm high, an 12mm² area hole.

Now lets take a band around a flue. No seal just clamped around. There is at least a 0.05mm gap on the band so 0.05 x 3.142 x 100 = 15.71mm²

Thats how much of a risk it presents.

Engineering judgement. Use it or loose it.

Since i have nothing to do tonight lets do a wee calculation.
The pad saw poked a hole through the flue say 3mm wide 4mm high, an 12mm² area hole.

Now lets take a band around a flue. No seal just clamped around. There is at least a 0.05mm gap on the band so 0.05 x 3.142 x 100 = 15.71mm²

Thats how much of a risk it presents.

Engineering judgement. Use it or loose it.

Now theres a guy with some time on his hands or a guy that just uses his head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damaged flue! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock