Search the forum,

Discuss Customers and payment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
This seems to be a never ending battle to me now its not even big jobs most sub 100 quid yet always get some excuse or other.
They know I'm coming know the rough price yet still get some lame excuse , forgot to get cash out , mrs has the bank card, can't find the cheque book and so on and so on .I waste hours of my eves chasing money through phone calls or emails .

Where am i going wrong or is this just how it is?

Probably just how it is. Do you pay all your bills straight away? I know I don't. Window cleaner generally calls twice before I can be bothered writing a cheque. ( yes cheque!) if he made it easier to pay, I would do it earlier.

Do you make it easy for customers to pay you. Not just cash on completion, but bank transfer, pay pal, card payments etc?

I confirm this is getting worse and becoming a PITA. I`m PAYE but get the office on my back on a weekly basis for not collecting payment on completion.

Have you got a card reader?
Have you tried asking before you start work "its going to be around £100 how will you be paying?"

Probably not what you want to hear, but I have no trouble getting paid.
Do you write out an invoice there and then?

I find this prompts them into actioning it asap.

I am finding most people are paying me immediately lately. Some people are posting a cheque, but that's okay by me.
The reasons I am getting paid I think is because most of my recent customers are decent and very often appreciate anyone doing work for them. Mostly reasonably well off, although not all.
A few rotten apples are better to get rid of

For some reason we still have to employ a team of credit controllers to get you 'orrible lot to pay up...

For some reason we still have to employ a team of credit controllers to get you 'orrible lot to pay up...

You've only yourself to blame!

If you hadn't have upgraded to Stafford Palace we would've thought you still needed the dough. ....

I always ask before I start. Have you got means of payment?

"No, ok I'll be back when you have"

Unless it's regulars.

The only time I'm not within 2 seconds reach of my cards is in the gym. At which point I'm within 10 seconds reach and in any case rarely reimbursing tradespeople.

having a spate at the moment from my regulars. keep having to wait or 'come back tomorrow' for my money!
not the norm for me not to get paid on the day...

i love it when they get the cheque name etc wrong, quick squiggle and signature and into the teller it goes. Had one irriot ring me to say they were surprised when the cheque they had got wrong, !! went through ok :)

I have a rule, payment on completion in cash, won't accept cheques.

If I have to return to collect payment then I charge again

9 times out of 10 the payment miraculously appears.

I don't get many issues

I have a rule, payment on completion in cash, won't accept cheques.

If I have to return to collect payment then I charge again

9 times out of 10 the payment miraculously appears.

I don't get many issues

Wow! You insist on cash? Even on boiler installs? I would be worried that people would think I was a pikey.

Wow! You insist on cash? Even on boiler installs? I would be worried that people would think I was a pikey.

I don't do boilers & don't care what people think

I have good custards

Others who quibble & moan I've no interest in

I know loads of 1 man bands that insist on cash no matter how big the job is . Its something I'm seriously considering now as fed up of chasing when i get home .Just getting fed up of excuses all the time.

If it's a big job - I don't know what you do- I'd be wanting the cost of a boiler etc. Up front

I do smaller bits but even then if I get a bad feeling I'll walk away or get money up front (that's very rare).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Customers and payment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock