Discuss Cracked private sewer pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

les3002

I've recently been doing a bit of work for my Mother, for quite some time now the rear garden has been damp, to the point where nothing will grow as the earth is soaking.

It appeared that the private sewer that runs under our patio has cracked so I've dug down and located it, thing is I wasn't expecting this monster of a pipe (looks to be 315mm). Anyone have any experience of repairing pipes of this kind, it's a clay pipe.

Cheers.

Hmm!

Repair it the same way as a small one. The problem is stopping water flow while you do it.

But before all that, check local availability of parts.

My guess for such a size drain, quite a few properties use it and so the costs are usually shared. In that case you may have to consult those people involved, they may not be happy with you doing the repair and insist on a known contractor.

Just insurance problems if some body has it covered by insurance.

I should imagine the insurance companies may want a say in how its repaired and may even want to appoint the repair company..

Shared stuff is usually a problem.

The practical side can be easy, providing you can get the materials. Incidentally try the local council to source supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Les. If the drain is live and carrying sewage be careful before attempting any repairs. You will need to dig along the pipe to locate joints. The type of joint will determine the type of pipe. (Pointed cement joints or plastic flexible "O" ring joints) Older systems used cement/mortar and yarn. Once excavated and identified, why not photograph the situation and lobby a local council road gang who may have knowledge in sourcing such pipe etc. And may well help out for a nice drink. As attempting such a job alone with out experience could well end in tears. A 12" pipe serves a lot of properties. Good Luck

Hi Les,
In some cases depending on the age of property there is a ruling called section 24x I thinki its pre 1937 whereby most (but not all) shared drains are still under utilities to repair for free, worth checking on.

Hi thanks for the answers.

To add a bit more in the drain is used by four properties, there is ours then the manhole next door and the two properties further along.

The pipe seems to have been covered in concrete, a neighbour commented that the previous owner did something under there, but who knows what.

At the minute I just want to ascertain if it is that pipe leaking and just plan to clear all the earth around it. If it is I'd imagine the 6 metre run from our house to the manhole next door would probably need to be replaced.

Our house was built around 1960 so as far as I know the 4 houses attached to the drain should share responsibility, I suppose once I confirm a leak we could look at having a contractor in as I'm beginning to think it may be a bit much to do DIY although my mother seems to think it isn't convered on her home insurance.

Oh and it does not serve any toilets just the kitchens of the four properties.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Les

Yes its quite usually for them to be encased in concrete. Plenty of schools of thought on how much. Placing them in concrete usually meant it turned the drain line into a solid and any ground movement would crack the pipe. Today the thinking seems to be flexible joints to allow for movement, unless near property then they encase it in concrete. The exact distances and all that info can be found in the Bldg Regs down loadable for free off the government website. Just Google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cracked private sewer pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock